The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
actually applies to most mosses, I've tried christmax, java, weeping, etc. It's just so hard to grow. My tank right now has hygrophilia, dwarf sag, crypts, java fern, some floaters, and some other plants I forget the name of. They all grow fine and I have to trim every few weeks. It's medium lighting, low current flow, room temp water, I dose thriveS and excel and it seems like every plant does good except for the moss.

The christmas moss grew great for a month or two and died the next month, there's no trace of it now. The java moss is hanging in there but it definitely isn't growing, I've had it a year now and it's the exact same size. I really like the look of moss so I actually started a whole new tank just to try and grow them. Right now it's got nothing in it but some java moss and substrate. I'm willing to do ANYTHING to make sure this thing grows. Any tips?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a lot of Christmas moss in my tanks and for some reason it grows well for me, have no real idea why. Some say mosses need cool water, but my tanks are all at 27-28C. Some say it needs CO2, but only one of my tanks has this and the moss grows well in the others. I used to dose Excel (at Seachem's recommended daily dose) and that didn't affect the moss at all, but higher doses and spot dosing certainly burned it. Stopping Excel dosing doesn't seem to have had an effect either. I use the full Seachem line of fert's (except Advance and Excel) wit their recommended daily dosing schedule and that seems to work well. I'm not doing anything particularly different or unusual and the moss just grows lush green. Subwassertan in the same tanks does absolutely nothing though - go figure!

So in answer to your question.... I have no idea, sorry! Only thing I can offer is that mosses tend to attract hair algae and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) treatments do a great job of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have a lot of Christmas moss in my tanks and for some reason it grows well for me, have no real idea why. Some say mosses need cool water, but my tanks are all at 27-28C. Some say it needs CO2, but only one of my tanks has this and the moss grows well in the others. I used to dose Excel (at Seachem's recommended daily dose) and that didn't affect the moss at all, but higher doses and spot dosing certainly burned it. Stopping Excel dosing doesn't seem to have had an effect either. I use the full Seachem line of fert's (except Advance and Excel) wit their recommended daily dosing schedule and that seems to work well. I'm not doing anything particularly different or unusual and the moss just grows lush green. Subwassertan in the same tanks does absolutely nothing though - go figure!

So in answer to your question.... I have no idea, sorry! Only thing I can offer is that mosses tend to attract hair algae and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) treatments do a great job of getting rid of it.
I guess to be clear, for OP, it would be asking the plain and simples:

- how big is the tank?
- what is the dosage?
- what kind of flow does the tank have?

I've dosed Excel in my tank, twice a week, but have spot treated some Java fern and I had a lot of flow in my tank, the spot treatment went to my moss, it burned it significantly turning brown. In tanks with flow, medium light, and cooler temperatures, I find that they grow a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have used recommended dose of excel (everyday) and my java moss did well in a low energy tank with modest lighting. Java moss grows slowly in the summer when the tank hits 30 degC and grows more aggressively in the off heats when the tank stays between 25-26 degC. My tank was never in the cooler 22-23 degC where java moss is supposed to do best.

I have never spot dosed excel on java moss. I place the java moss on stone or driftwood that’s directly in the flow. I trimmed it back frequently, keeping moss in shape was hard but collecting trimmings of java moss was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess to be clear, for OP, it would be asking the plain and simples:

- how big is the tank?
- what is the dosage?
- what kind of flow does the tank have?

I've dosed Excel in my tank, twice a week, but have spot treated some Java fern and I had a lot of flow in my tank, the spot treatment went to my moss, it burned it significantly turning brown. In tanks with flow, medium light, and cooler temperatures, I find that they grow a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
8 gallon, i dose excel 0.5ml every day thriveS 1 pump a day 5x weekly, flow is pretty low. Thoughts?

I have used recommended dose of excel (everyday) and my java moss did well in a low energy tank with modest lighting. Java moss grows slowly in the summer when the tank hits 30 degC and grows more aggressively in the off heats when the tank stays between 25-26 degC. My tank was never in the cooler 22-23 degC where java moss is supposed to do best.

I have never spot dosed excel on java moss. I place the java moss on stone or driftwood that’s directly in the flow. I trimmed it back frequently, keeping moss in shape was hard but collecting trimmings of java moss was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I have no clue it seems like for everyone java moss is unkillable and grows no matter what but I don't see the same success

·
Registered
571 Posts
My java moss does so much better in my quarantine tank than my normal display tank and I don't understand why. When I got it, I basically divided it in half and it grew in one tank and dwindled in the other. My QT is bare bottomed, uses weak/terrible led lights that came with the tank kit and the only source of nutrients is from my tap water, fish food, and fish waste. Oh yeah, and it had salt and meds in the water for a while and the moss didn't blink. It shouldn't work! But it does! (My display tank is just fine - plenty of happy, growing plants, including mini Christmas moss.) So I moved all the java moss over to the QT, though of course I still find little bits here and there in the display tank. If I didn't have the QT I wouldn't think I could really grow java moss either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.