The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I knew enough to successfully grow plants. Yes I am still learning but I have had a lot of trial and error on my other planted tank that is doing alot better now.

This tank is 20gal Long
pH 6.5
kH 35.8 ppm
nitrate 5ppm
haggen diy co2
double bulb coralife T5 18W 6700K light fixture

I dose 1/8 cap of excel every morning and a cap full after a water change.
WC 25% weekly.

The tank is fairly new, about one month.

The Ludwigia Repens is starting to melt and I can't figure out why. There is a small amount of hair algae, I don't think its growing it is definitly stunted. It grew quickly earlier when there was only 3 stems of Hygrophila polysperma. I would imagine there were way to many excess nutrients, so I added more plants and did a larger water change. 2 days after that the ludwgia was pearling very nicely.

This is what it looks like now... the flourite is all over the leaves.

example of flourite dust on leaves

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Your water seems very soft - two degrees KH? What does that leave your GH at? I'd harden up your water a bit. Potassium is a good start, but some Ca and Mg may be in need too. I don't usually keep tanks any softer than 5 deg KH - too many problems with plant growth and pH drops.

My $.02 ;). Good luck.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks unirdna
I guess I'll have to order some Ca and Mg

All I have is potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate.

Is greg watson a good place to get that?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Is your tap water in Washington that soft? Get yourself an Aquarium Pharm KH/GH test kit - $4 - if you don't already have one. Seachem equilibrium adds KH and GH to your water. Or, what I prefer, use Kent RO right to add everything (GH and other elements) except KH. Then use baking soda to increase KH. This gives you more control over water parameters. Greg may have an option, as well. Certainly worth a look.

My tap has a KH of 24 deg, and GH of 26 deg. I could just send you a couple gallons, and you'd be all set :hihi: . Over here, we need to dilute with RO.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
I have found that quite often moving plants from one set of water parameters to another causes the plants to melt down a bit as they adapt to their new set of parameters.

Plants also melt down as they change from emmersed growth form to submersed growth form as well.

Mike

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both. I am going to give it a little more time to see what direction it goes.

unirdna: I have another planted 20 gal. tank with several plants, haggen diy co2 and a 65W 6700K CF with the same parameters and its doing great.

Yes our tap water has a kH of 2 degrees. I have a kH test kit not gH. I've heard its almost pointless to test both.

I think Momotaro has the right idea since the plants were added recently and the other plants seem to be doing fine.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
actually being left in their bunches could also be hindering their growth. most times being left in the bunch is the cause for rotting away. That and the waterchanges and etc. are deff enough to wrack hell on the poor plants. So spread them out see if that helps.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually being left in their bunches could also be hindering their growth. most times being left in the bunch is the cause for rotting away. That and the waterchanges and etc. are deff enough to wrack hell on the poor plants. So spread them out see if that helps.

Yeah, I did that immediately after starting this thread. Thanks

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I think Momotaro has the right idea since the plants were added recently and the other plants seem to be doing fine.
Agreed :icon_cool . If you have another tank doing well, then you should be just fine. It isn't like ludwigia is a particularly difficult plant. Just probably a bit of shock. Hope it turns around for ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.