The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bunch of jungle val and dwarf sag on the way and I'm just going to rescape everything again.
I'm not really looking for a certain type of scape just driftwood that looks cool and go with the flow, the tank size is a 20g long.

This one is actually two pieces of driftwood but I can't tell once their together.

This one was from my oak tree outside that had some dead branches and the right branch loops from the back of the tank to the front.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't know what kind of tank you're setting up, or what kind of atmosphere or "feel" you want, but just comparing the driftwood together on their own merit I much prefer the first one. It has height, diagonal angles, curves, textures, nook & crannies - all the things I love in good driftwood!
Is it solid & not spongy/punk? It looks like it could come from the pine/fir family, make sure it's well aged & not leaching resins.
That's my 2 cents!

·
Registered
352 Posts
First one for sure, much more dynamic and neat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Both are nice. It's difficult to comment without knowing tank dimensions and driftwood sizes - bigger pieces of driftwood are usually better.

I like the second one for a biotope setup, and the first for an Amano-style tank.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts

This will make it much different real quick, do not fear trimming wood to make it fit correctly and stay put, also, placing the wood in first, then adding the sand around it to high and make it more part of the entire tank seems to work well.

I think many do not trim the wood nicely and just live with the stump part that makes it non aesthetically pleasing to them, most are too scared to trim wood.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Agree with Tom, don't fear the trim. The first piece is nice, but that straight branch sticking out to the right doesn't add anything. Go ahead and chop it off.

Can you fit both? The second is nice too, maybe in the foreground left, angling back to go behind the first?

Don't fear the trim, be the stump!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I updated my first post to give some more detail, was kinda in a hurry earlier. I'm not sure sure if both would fit and I've been having alot of problems with the 2nd one with plants not taking hold of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.