The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I smelled cyano when I was feeding last night. I looked last night and didn't see any obvious signs. When I get home from work I'm going to give it another look, but I tend to smell it before more than a few spots have appeared and, with how heavily planted the tank is, they could be anywhere.

I'm planning on doing a large water change and fiddling with the aim of the powerhead on what could be a couple dead spots. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of it while it's still in the very minor stages?

Tank is 100g, mid light I guess, no CO2, no ferts other than the occasional root tabs. It's been chugging along like that for about 2 years now. I have some algae, but it's minor and I don't really mind a bit of algae. Adds to the natural look. I have a feeling this is because I added a shoal of Kubota Rainbows recently and they are voracious little beggers as compared to the rest of the inhabitants and started going after my shrimp so I added a morning feed, and I think I've been overfeeding as a result. That and finally getting around to replacing the second filter that's been broken for a while are the only changes to the tank in the last 6 months at least.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Could very well be a flow issues. I can typically keep cyano at bay with clean water and good flow. I usually small it before I see it, too and it's typically when a filter or air pump or powerhead fails. Good luck cyano is a pain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could very well be a flow issues. I can typically keep cyano at bay with clean water and good flow. I usually small it before I see it, too and it's typically when a filter or air pump or powerhead fails. Good luck cyano is a pain.
Thanks. A water change later, I can't smell it anymore. I think it's on some anubias, so I moved the powerhead so it flows directly over that area. We'll see if that takes care of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.