Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well Water (South Florida)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently I am running on a well and over the years I've found the water to be to hard.(GH) I always seem to end up with hard water stains. I have dehumidifiers and bottle distilled water but was told since it has nothing in it in terms of nutrients thats no good either. I tried Zepherhills natural spring water but that seems to have a really high PH. Is there any suggestions on what water would be best? Since I live in South Florida I was thinking rain water lol All thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Maybe a mix of RO water and your well water? Or keep species that prefer harder water such as most rainbowfish.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya, see if you can find a mix of your well and ro water and see if you can find a pH/gH thats suitable for what you want by mixing. Other option is spend $150 or so and get your own RO unit and make your own RO water, even if you mix it with your water.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
depending on how many water changes you do, look up purewaterclub.com. I've heard a few people buying from them and happy with the units.

Think about it... say .50$ per gallon for R/O water at a store.

I do about 60 gallons a week (a 75 and 55), so 30$ per week on R/O water. So, a 120$ RO unit pays for itself in about a month...

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Unless my tapwater was undrinkable, This would be the water I would use and is most easily re-produced.
Just keep fishes that enjoy the pH, GH, that tapwater render's. Much easier than trying to adjust water to suit the fish.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
roadmaster,

That is true, but on the other side most of us don't want to be limited by water chemistry.

If I remember right from various trips down to florida, the water seemed to have a lot of sulfur, really chalky taste, and left water stains on EVERYTHING. Tasted like a swamp, go figure.

·
Registered
524 Posts
R barber,

I would post your parameters here, maybe it's not as bad as you think. I always assumed my well water was very hard because of stains and a slightly high Ph. Turns out it's pretty good middle of the road water, just on the harder side a bit.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
roadmaster,

That is true, but on the other side most of us don't want to be limited by water chemistry.

If I remember right from various trips down to florida, the water seemed to have a lot of sulfur, really chalky taste, and left water stains on EVERYTHING. Tasted like a swamp, go figure.
Yes,, I understand. I stored R/O tapwater mix for Discus for a couple year's, It was a PIA.
Took nearly eight gallon's of tapwater to make one gallon of R/O water and for 75 gallon tank,, this was too time consuming to ensure that i alway's had water ready for water changes.
Should have chose Adult Discus who could prolly got by with once a week water change but I chose juveniles:icon_roll.
For smaller tank's, buying the R/O water to mix with tap so I could keep german blue ram's was not too tedious and was only way that eggs would hatch for me.
Unless my water had PH above 8.0 and or hardness above 12 degrees. I think there are more than a few species that would adapt.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
More issues than just GH out the ground in Florida many find.
OP, I worked my way through this using the internet and have several threads covering different topics I needed to understand better. Once those answers were found the threads withered but are still here under my user name.
Most tittles give a good idea of what's discussed in them.

Ultimately this was the best all around answer long term and the endgame on my water issues. Dedicated RO system.
Using a booster pump the product ratio to reject is great and being supplied from a well not a central system the water isn't costly and reject is directed into planting beds and returned to the ground so i don't see it as a wasted resource.

HTH

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RO water didnt even cross my mind! My dad tossed our old one after hurricane andrew. Here are my well water Parameters.
PH 7 Good!
KH 250ppm/ 14.045 dh
I dont have a Gh, phosphate, nitrate, nitrite test kit just yet. I used the Calcium hardness test from the pool drop tester and got,
test one 230ppm/ 12.9213 dh and thats just calcium.
test two 100ppm
test three 80 ppm
I must be doing something wrong either that or my water is inconsistent. Is it possible for my welll to be really inconsistent? Im literally like a quarter of a mile away from Biscanyne Bay.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What if I used 50/50 my well water and distilled water? Would the water contain enough of the extra elements that aren't micro/macro elements? Idk how to find this out. RO seems a little expensive for only a ten gallon tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
With a 10 gallon tank, and most grocery stores selling bottled distilled water for $1 per gallon, I would use distilled water and use Seachem Equilibrium to reconstitute it so it has adequate calcium and magnesium in it. Then I would only top off the tank after that, limiting myself to low light and very low fertilizing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With a 10 gallon tank, and most grocery stores selling bottled distilled water for $1 per gallon, I would use distilled water and use Seachem Equilibrium to reconstitute it so it has adequate calcium and magnesium in it. Then I would only top off the tank after that, limiting myself to low light and very low fertilizing.
I see your posts a lot hoppy. Would it be possible for you to stop by my tank profile and let me know what could be done to get it five star status (its only three) please? :(

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I see your posts a lot hoppy. Would it be possible for you to stop by my tank profile and let me know what could be done to get it five star status (its only three) please? :(
I looked at the tank, and the first thing that stands out is that you planted the stem plants in a bunch. It will grow a lot better and look better if you separate the individual stems and plant them individually about 1/2" to 1" apart. Second, it needs to grow out a lot before it will look its best. Third, you have an awful lot of light, no CO2 and don't dose a full array of nutrients. If you really are using that much light, you need CO2 for sure, and you need to dose per the sticky on dosing regimes. Otherwise you are likely to run into lots of algae problems very soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.