The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low tech planted 55 gallon. I always wanted 2 things. A deeper planted tank, ideally a 75 because its 6 inches deeper then my tank now and a little shorter so ideal size for planted, I want to do high tech with it. I also always wanted to do a Lake Tanganyka tank. I have syno petricola and love them and always wanted to do calvus and other fish from that lake. So my idea was eventually get a 75 gallon tank make that planted high tech and use my old 55 gallon tank for the cichlid tank.

Well my wife's step mom wants to give me my father in laws 90 gallon tank. He passed away from cancer last year and she wants to keep the tank in the family but has a hard time caring for it and knows I know a lot about planted. So while this isn't my 75 gallon it has the same footprint but is a lot taller. Not to mention he had pressurized CO2 and high tech lighting. What do I do?

Keep the 90 gallon high tech and just go with some taller plants that will do well in the tall tank along with some large driftwood peices or do I convert the 90 gallon into my cichlid tank and move the high tech stuff to my 55? I will be losing the depth I always wanted but the height of the tank is still not crazy high. Not to mention this gives me more room for the cichlids.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't think the taller tank handicaps your plant growing efforts much. Plenty of light will reach the substrate assuming you have the right lights. You are only confused because you had one image in your head and now have to adjust to what most would consider an even better situation. Unless you had envisioned a low sweeping iwagumi type setup for the 75, embrace that 90 planted!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with the 90 as a planted take. Add a tall piece of drift wood that will look good with java ferns, anubas and fire moss on it. You can also build one side or the back up to look like an hill with ledges and hang overs to plant on and give the fish something to hide under and moss like java and fire moss will grow under the ledges.

Good luck have fun and honor your late father in law by continuing with is dream.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.