The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recently I've noticed that I've had a rapidly growing interest in the planted tank scene. I find myself thinking about my tank, future tanks, tanks I've seen here, etc. It's like my interest was piqued over a year ago and now i can't stop it from consuming me! Being that I'm young (22) I thought about taking some college courses on botany, marine biology, and chemistry. I want to better understand the aspects of plants, fish, and how they interact with chemicals and such. I learn best under the direct hand of someone willing to sit down and teach me, but that doesn't mean I haven't learned a lot from here. I have. It's just that there's so much mumbo jumbo that I feel like I've seen so many times and still don't understand.

My dream would be to someday

Edits:
SOMEDAY I'd love to have a company solely dedicated to the custom design of aquariums and their habitats. That would be... So amazing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think it would be awesome! I am still very much in the learning phase with the planted aspect of it too, luckily JT has been a HUGE help! Some courses in what you listed as well as business would be a great way to get going. As much as I LOVE Fishtopia it would be cool to have a store around here specializing in planted tanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know right! Have you noticed there's not one single place around here specifically aimed toward the planted tank scene? Not even saltwater really. There's stores that provide the stuff but nobody who will come into your place and set all your stuff up for you and even stock fish for you and plants and maintain it. I've looked. There's install companies for just the tanks. Design. Just the tanks. Maintenence sure. But nobody to do the real magic, which is creating the habitat. I'd love to go almost like the Tanked route. I only ever see them do the sea life and corals and it's hardly live stuff. Usually fake. And almost never freshwater (which can be beautiful too!!). Kansas City needs a kick start in the direction of beautiful tanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know right! Have you noticed there's not one single place around here specifically aimed toward the planted tank scene? Not even saltwater really. There's stores that provide the stuff but nobody who will come into your place and set all your stuff up for you and even stock fish for you and plants and maintain it. I've looked. There's install companies for just the tanks. Design. Just the tanks. Maintenence sure. But nobody to do the real magic, which is creating the habitat. I'd love to go almost like the Tanked route. I only ever see them do the sea life and corals and it's hardly live stuff. Usually fake. And almost never freshwater (which can be beautiful too!!). Kansas City needs a kick start in the direction of beautiful tanks!
The closest is Olathe Pet Shop, they have a ton of more uncommon freshwater fish and tons of plants and quite a bit of accessories.

There are several saltwater specific stores in town though! My buddy owns Fishtopia and he is getting in more and more planted tank stuff. Fish, plants, fluval C02 systems, planted substrates, Kessil lights..etc. They will do setup and maintenance as well, but of course it isn't cheap.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The closest I've been able to get to anyone who I would absolutely go for advice from is a guy I met at Petsmart. He's got like 10 planted tanks and knows SO much. It's ridiculous. I always go to him for advice when he's there, a great guy to talk to.

I've never been to fishtopia, I should visit sometime. I like saltwater reefs, they're beautiful, but there's just something about the lush nature of planted tanks... My obsession will soon consume the house, already talking about a tank over 100 gallons in the sun porch!

I just really. Really. Love planted tanks haha. I would love a career in that field. Tanks all day everyday. Creating. Fish paradise!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lol....I hear ya! I have 5 tanks going right now from 5 gallon to 130 gallon systems. I am constantly talking about my tanks as well as theirs. I am sure it drives my friends nuts! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I know I'm driving my boyfriend absolutely bonkers. He can't stand it. He grudgingly agreed to allow me another tank on the sun porch ONLY BECAUSE he's going to use it when he does his art and car renderings.

I figure, since I'm young, I have a lot of wiggle room to learn and grow with this hobby... Since it's my only one and it drains my money supply. No money to do drugs in Sugar Creek lol!

Where is fishtopia at?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh I know I'm driving my boyfriend absolutely bonkers. He can't stand it. He grudgingly agreed to allow me another tank on the sun porch ONLY BECAUSE he's going to use it when he does his art and car renderings.

I figure, since I'm young, I have a lot of wiggle room to learn and grow with this hobby... Since it's my only one and it drains my money supply. No money to do drugs in Sugar Creek lol!

Where is fishtopia at?
Lol!

Fishtopia is up north, 4720 Vivian Rd. They are by far the cheapest place in town as well as most helpfull!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vivian road?! Like isn't that near Gladstone? Or am I going the wrong direction? I have yet to really learn my way around outside of Grand ol Johnson County

·
Registered
70 Posts
Vivian road?! Like isn't that near Gladstone? Or am I going the wrong direction? I have yet to really learn my way around outside of Grand ol Johnson County
Yeah, its up in that area.

Another good place is Live Art Aquatics over in Indep. Small place but nice people and good prices.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never heard of that place. I know that Brothers is there next to the Walmart on 40 but that place isn't that great. Their stock is simplistic, no real variety, and honestly I'm not sure I'd trust their stuff to be disease, algae, or snail free. I did see they had a discus tank there though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never heard of that place. I know that Brothers is there next to the Walmart on 40 but that place isn't that great. Their stock is simplistic, no real variety, and honestly I'm not sure I'd trust their stuff to be disease, algae, or snail free. I did see they had a discus tank there though.
Yeah, Brothers is like horrible inbred methville. Hate that place! Live Art is down Sterling a few miles north of there on Winner Rd.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh really? I'm literally right up the road from there. I'll have to get up early and go see it tomorrow! And fishtopia this weekend.

If I do end up going to school for all that stuff just to start a business, I had better practice my photography skills lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh really? I'm literally right up the road from there. I'll have to get up early and go see it tomorrow! And fishtopia this weekend.

If I do end up going to school for all that stuff just to start a business, I had better practice my photography skills lol
Yup, there is an oldschool shopping plaza there on Winner Rd and Sterling and they are in there. It's a small place, mainly saltwater, but they do have quite a bit of freshwater and plants. They had some really nice looking Bolivian Rams when I was in the last week.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK that place is great. Super friendly. The guy had a good selection of fish. Plants were meh but he did give me free rocks :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very cool. Talked to Ron I assume. He's a good guy! Now you need to make it up to Fishtopia!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did that today too!! Haha went there and bought some long forceps and um. Oh aquarium silicone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts