The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the hobby for many years and have gone from saltwater reefs, to flowerhorns, to my current tank of 150g South American stocked tank. After many years, I still really dig the hobby. Anyway, I got a 12"x6"x6" nano aquarium with a small HOB filter.

Id like to go with a small planted aquarium with a few fish and shrimp. I know nothing of compatability with fish, shrimp, and or plants.

Do I needa ny more equipment? I have no lighting as of yet and nothing for plants, ie Co2, etc. Id like a black substrate though and possibly a 3D background.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
12" x 6" x 6" = 7 liters = 2 Gallons.

Don't get any fish for this tank; only shrimp will fit in there. Start off with any shrimp in the Neocaridina genus (they're the hardiest & easiest to take care of). You can put in any plants you want, and you can have CO2, just don't have too much of it. Also, make sure your HOB filter has a sponge over the intake pipe so baby shrimp don't get sucked up.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
for such a small tank i wouldnt even do any co2 at all... going with shrimps for a small tank is ok but dont mix co2 with shrimps as they can die really i mean REALLY easy with co2 in a small tank

stick with low tech plants like moss and some low tech stem plants as a background

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all. I am looking at some moss and anubias. I really dig the CRS. Is that an option for me? Also, I will pass on the Co2 for such intermediate plants.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many shrimp should I add? I intend on seeding the tank with existing media from my other tanks filters. I'll let it cycle for a few weeks. After checking its parameters Id like to add shrimp. Do they have light requirements? Ans what about substrate?

·
Registered
684 Posts
6-10 So you have a balance of genders. I've gotten 4 males and 1 female before from a breeder.

Just make sure your PH is around 6.0-6.5 and nitrates 0.

skip on Co2 if you want to breed em. I usually give em like 8-12 hrs of light. Substrate is your call really. If you can get your PH to 6.0-6.5 without any special substrates then go for that.

Otherwise... get yourself ADA Aquasoil Amazonia. Don't bother with Fluval Shrimp Stratum unless your going to get Neo's.

There's a shop in ridgewood *northern Jersey* You can get it there or pay like 50 bucks for a bag *after shipping* from the site for ADA aquasoil.

If your into blue shrimps pm me and I can hook you up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
CRS is a better choice than RCS for a small tank, since RCS reproduce rapidly,
quickly the water parameters will become a problem.
If you decide to go with RCS, spend more for good quality shrimps,
that way you can trade them easily.

·
Registered
684 Posts
^consider money and experience to the factor. CRS are not good if you can't keep em alive. If you are just starting out stick to Neos and you'll learn how to keep shrimps. People still buy RCS and trade them.

I wouldn't recommend CRS for people who are new to shrimps based off my experience.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
crystal red are not hard to keep just go for a lower grade like A-S grade they are really pretty hardy and i have kept them in a ph of 7 and had them breed ( i didnt have any test kits to see what my parameters were) just dont go for the really high grade crystal reds and you should be ok and the lower grades are just as cheep now as some of the neo's

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, got it. I am gonna grab some substrate today ana a hydor UG heater. Is that OK? Also, grabbed a light from topdogsellers, a 12" 33 LED inexpensive light as my goal isnt plants. I also ordered a very cool piece of driftwood mounted on slate that fits the shape of my tank perfectly. Gonna grab some oss squares, moss balls, and anubias. Seed the tank from my other one and wait. I will probably grab some blues from a member on here to start.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Don't get any fish for this tank; only shrimp will fit in there.

Also, make sure your HOB filter has a sponge over the intake pipe so baby shrimp don't get sucked up.
False. I have a tank only a few inches longer with near same dimensions and Least kilifish are doing perfectly in there.

But good advice on the HOB. Since it is a small tank, you can cut up some nylon and wrap it over the HOB. That cuts down on the size of the thing in your tank.

There are at least 8-10 species that would do wonderfully in a smaller tank, especially one that is long in length.

On the other hand, if you want to keep a species of shrimp, not all of them are shrimp safe. I can only say least killifish (H Formosa) are from my experience, but I don't know if they eat babies.

I've been monitoring my babies, and I haven't seen any deaths yet.

My own advice is to just start with shrimp, but I want you to know options are out there.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
False. I have a tank only a few inches longer with near same dimensions and Least kilifish are doing perfectly in there.

But good advice on the HOB. Since it is a small tank, you can cut up some nylon and wrap it over the HOB. That cuts down on the size of the thing in your tank.

There are at least 8-10 species that would do wonderfully in a smaller tank, especially one that is long in length.

On the other hand, if you want to keep a species of shrimp, not all of them are shrimp safe. I can only say least killifish (H Formosa) are from my experience, but I don't know if they eat babies.

I've been monitoring my babies, and I haven't seen any deaths yet.

My own advice is to just start with shrimp, but I want you to know options are out there.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

Yeah, I meant to say shrimp and fish can't both be in that tank at the same time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still waiting on my light and driftwood from ebay. parameters are good so gonna start stocking soon. I seeded the aquarium and the parameters are excellent. I am not sure what an optimal temp is for neo's. I am around 80' with the Hydor UG heater.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.