The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure their the same thing as Candy Cane Tetras. I used to have them as well. Very nice coloring on them. Little too aggressive for my tastes though
They have a bunch of common names. They do a lot of bluffing amongst themselves, but they don't nip.
I have a very heavily planted tank with 8 of them, maybe that helps?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Commonly called candy cane tetra or Bentosi tetra or HY511 tetra 'white fin'. They can get even redder when really happy (even when not spawning). Not as intense red as Serpaes, but still nice. H. bentosi being much more peaceful and the addition of the white on the fins makes them better than Serpaes in my book.

I believe H. robertsi is a synonym of H. Bentosi. I am not sure if H. ornatus is another synonym or just another separate species that looks very similar (a whole lot of classifying is still unsorted on these species). H. roasceus (rosy tetra) is very similar in behavior and appearance. Red Phantom tetras (H. sweglesi) can get as red as Serpaes, but unlike Serpaes, Phantoms are very peaceful (even less squabbles among males in comparison to H. Bentosi).

They are peaceful with all the other fish, but they do occasionally take swoops at each other, but no damage occurs and none of the fish get stressed. They can swim by and with each other with no problems. They don't school around really, but their little dances with the other males gives them some appearance of activity, and it's nice to see them extend their fins. I for one, don't like any fighting among my fish, but these guys square (circle) off and do a little charge, but never hurt and no one stresses out so it's no biggie. They aren't shy and are some of the first fish to go for the food at feeding time (no fighting at feedings either). Great attractive fish.

Do your bublebee gobies have any confrontations with your peacock gudgeons?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like these fish! I added some with the name candy cane tetra and then more with the name rosy fin. I am not sure I can tell them apart. One has a small black dot on one of its fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I really like these fish! I added some with the name candy cane tetra and then more with the name rosy fin. I am not sure I can tell them apart. One has a small black dot on one of its fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously Fish states
"The easiest way to distinguish them is by the presence of a dark marking just behind the operculum in H. bentosi, which is lacking in H. rosaceus."

Operculum is the gill plate/cover. So it is saying H. bentosi has the typical black marking just behind the gill plate.

H. bentosi = candy cane tetra
H. rosaceus = rosy tetra
Hyphessobrycon rosaceus ? Rosy Tetra ? Seriously Fish
Scroll down to bottom of link page, under Notes section.

EDIT: Just re-read and see you said rosy "fin", not rosy "tetra". Maybe it's just a "regular" H. bentosi, non-white fin.
Is there any white on the fin? Or just white and red, but no black?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hyphessobrycon bentosi!

Seriously Fish states
"The easiest way to distinguish them is by the presence of a dark marking just behind the operculum in H. bentosi, which is lacking in H. rosaceus."

Operculum is the gill plate/cover. So it is saying H. bentosi has the typical black marking just behind the gill plate.

H. bentosi = candy cane tetra
H. rosaceus = rosy tetra
Hyphessobrycon rosaceus ? Rosy Tetra ? Seriously Fish
Scroll down to bottom of link page, under Notes section.

EDIT: Just re-read and see you said rosy "fin", not rosy "tetra". Maybe it's just a "regular" H. bentosi, non-white fin.
Is there any white on the fin? Or just white and red, but no black?
Thanks for helping me identify my fish.. They were indeed candy cane tetras or H. bentosi! At least that is what I think.

I am just getting started here in the forum and this post threw me into the deep end. I think I just lost an hour trying to take pics, post and identify. :)

Can't wait to get my planted tank up and running.. I might need to take a week of vacation just to research, apply and document all that I am learning here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do your bublebee gobies have any confrontations with your peacock gudgeons?
No, no issues between them. I have one MONSTER peacock that is about 3" long, they all have little territories staked out but if they invade each other the gobies just go further back into the plants until the danger is passed.

At feeding time they all come out and compete with each other for food.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.