The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I had brown diatoms on my HP too, but when I tried to rub some off it didn't come off, even with a finger nail. I took a picture of it. (Excuse the poor quality) Any one have any ideas? Could it be a deficiency? I dose Flourish once a week, excel daily, about 2.5WPG, and schultz aquatic plant soil.

Thanks
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=97323

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
It's a bit hard to see what the issue at hand is, but on another note, you do have a lot of light for your tank. What kind of bulbs are you using? You will need to dose macronutrients as well, and also more than just once a week.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
In addition, how large is your tank?

In my opinion, the cheapest method to dose macronutrients is to buy the chemicals in bulk. You need potassium nitrate and potassium dihydrogen phosphate for your basic NPK. Depending on your water chemistry, you may also want magnesium sulfate, calcium sulfate and potassium sulfate.

You can also buy micronutrients as a bulk fertilizer, which will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In addition, how large is your tank?

In my opinion, the cheapest method to dose macronutrients is to buy the chemicals in bulk. You need potassium nitrate and potassium dihydrogen phosphate for your basic NPK. Depending on your water chemistry, you may also want magnesium sulfate, calcium sulfate and potassium sulfate.

You can also buy micronutrients as a bulk fertilizer, which will save you money in the long run.
29 gallon. I don't have CO2 (too expensive for my budget)

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
If you don't have CO2, then I suggest that you back off on the lighting a bit (i.e. decrease the intensity). 2.5 WPG is a lot of light to have without fertilization or CO2. You are looking at a potential algae farm otherwise.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
the leaves may just be melting as the plant adjust to different parameters than the tank it came from, that happened to mine as it adjusted to low light.

You can think about adding an airstone or airwall to get a little bit of extra CO2 into the tank, it helps keep the tank at atmospheric CO2 levels instead of letting the CO2 get depleted by the plants, anyway, that's what i do in my low tech tanks :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts