The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this as a cutting from a friend a few years back, she got it as a cutting sometime in the '80s.

This stuff is a weed... it grows and grows and grows. I have it in both of my planted tanks and I'm constantly nipping off stems and throwing it away. Well that it, I used to.

About a year ago it pretty much stopped growing. Where I used to trim 4-5 stems per week (whatever had reached the surface) now I'm lucky if I have to trim one stem per month. I'd suggest it's a ferts thing but this happened almost simultaneously in ALL THREE tanks, both of mine AND hers. It grew madly for 20 years then it just stopped.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Does Hygro have a lifespan that I don't know about? Any suggestions to kickstart it?

·
Are these real?
15,722 Posts
That's odd. Do you have another tank without H.p. where you can add a twig just to see if it will grow?

Something similar happens in my tanks too... Wisteria (H. difformis) grows great for years, then just stops and disappears. Same with Ludwigia, Rotala, and others.

Some have suggested it might be an exhausted substrate... not sure about that one.

I don't think it would be lifespan related. Interesting observation for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts