The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a couple of stems from someone on another forum. Anyone have any experience with this plant? I have a soft spot for hygro's, since they do rather well for me in various tanks. Any general advice would be great.

Currently debating if I should put this in my 10 gallon or my 75 gallon. Part of me wants to start it in the 10, then put clippings into the 75 if I get it going.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
2manyhobbies on APC has been growing this plant for a while. Might want to check with him if you don't get any responses here.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Its fairly new and rare, i dont think many people have gotten it yet.
and the people who have it probably got it fairly recently, nd are still trying to get a hang of the plant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hygrophila 'Brown' aka Hygrophila 'Thai' is an very undemanding and fast growing stem. Its growth speed is similar to Hygrophila 'Tiger' or 'Bold'. It does change in appearance depending on your tank conditions. It can range from a light brown to a dark purplish brown. It was introduced in 2007, but wasn't so popular back then.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have some hygrophila brown. Other than a few partial pics online I have not seen many pictures of the entire plant or how it grows.

It took a little time to acclimate to my tank but when it started to grow it laid itself down on the substrate and started creeping.

Is it supposed to do this? I can't get a good pic of it because of where it is in the tank. Does anyone have a pic?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Finally got a decent pic. I lifted it up and rested it on the sword leaf. It's putting out new leaves but getting lower everyday. I have two and both are doing the same. Even the new side shoots are turning away from the light.

Anyone here have experience with this. I'm thinking I might shade it with the sword instead of raising it up?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you have any pics.? I googled but there are not many.
Does it branch at each node?
How much space between nodes t medium light?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
it looks the best under low light and no co2. under high light, it get very leggy very quickly.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it looks the best under low light and no co2. under high light, it get very leggy very quickly.
really? that's how I plan on growing mine, however I've had it under medium light and no co2 for a bit

·
Registered
412 Posts
So it kept growing slowly. The leaves were dark red brown, thick but wrinkly but most of the leaves were turned over and some were face down hugging the gravel.

24 hours after adding CO2 this is what happened.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Looks like the same plant to me, grown under diff conditions.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looks like the same plant to me, grown under diff conditions.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Cool.

How did you grow it like that? Do you remember the parameters? I would like mine grow upward. But even if I plant a stem upright it bends down shoots roots and pulls itself down.

The stems growing in my tank are 20" under 4 horizontal 23w cfls. I have a moderate amount of pressurized CO2(15-30ppm). I use O+ root tabs and dose CSM+B and gH booster. PO4 occasionally but I keep PO4 over 5ppm. Nitrate usually over 20, gH ~2, kH ~3.

This stuff is a dark red-brown without a hint of green. Leaves start out as a transparent brown then fill in with a redish brown fuzzy texture as the unroll. It grows horizontal along the substrate. Sending new shoots and roots from each node. I'm hoping the new shoots go up but so far it does not look like that is going to happen. So I might end up with a brown carpet.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Um, weird. Can you take a picture of some clippings?
Mine are in high light, co2 and ferts.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 25 Posts