The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo. I made an impulse purchase and bought some hygro pinnatifida. I have a bunch of different hygros (tiger, bold, something that I thought was willow hygro but is probably ceylon) in my tank so I thought it would be a nice addition. Then I did some googling and realized that the hygro name is deceptive in this case and it's actually very difficult to grow and light-demanding. I don't have CO2 in my tank and enough lighting to turn the tips of my other hygros bronze but that's about it.

My question is, should I wait until it melts in my tank or sell it to someone here :p It's really a gorgeous plant.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I tried growing this plant in a low/med excel tank and it didn't do too well. Lots of variables in my first tank so it could be anything. My plant kept breaking/becoming soft.

Bahugo, did you do anything in particular to get it to adapt?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious too, I've read far too many accounts of people failing and specifically saying this plant is not for low-tech... I just really don't want to waste such a gorgeous plant that would thrive in someone's high-tech tank.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Someone locally has grown it in a biocube14 stocklight with no co2 just fine. It grew painfully slow for him though. He had one stem and it only sent out one sideshoot within the past couple months he's had it.
I'm growing it in my 20 gallon long tank, over a single 27W strip (CFL). I have very low co2 injection in the tank, but was doing fine without it beforehand.
I'm pretty sure co2 is optional. It won't grow as fast as typical Hygrophila but should be fine overall.

And I agree! It's a gorgeous, gorgeous plant. I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in this plant by a majority of the US planted-tank keepers.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crap, someone talk me out of setting up a dedicated tank built around the hygro pinnatifida :p If I put it in its own tank with nothing but java fern and moss to compete against it might have a better shot...

·
Banned
866 Posts
Ive got it in a apparently too high tech setup as the [censored][censored][censored][censored] grows sideways instead of up!!!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw but hygro that grows sideways makes a nice midground "carpet". My hygro tiger grows sideways 75% of the time even in the lighting I have.

I think I've decided to keep the pinnatifida and make it the centerpiece plant in a small tank for the Aquabid betta of my dreams. Is this how people get multiple tank syndrome?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have it in a couple tanks plus in an emersed set-up, In my high light tank 150w hqi it grows up, over, under, around, sideways you name it. what I'm trying to say is, it's a weed. In my bucephalandra growout tank under twin T-8's and no CO2 i throw cuttings in there and it's growing fine, I have a huge mass of it in there now. It also is establishing itself in my emersed set-up and is growing well too. I do know it likes high light but it likes other conditions as well. If anyone needs some let me know and I can send you all you need.

Len

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I have a few stems which are growing in low light, low tech plant that are doing quite well. No CO2, no ferts, and very very minimal maintenance. They are mostly growing sideways and have sent many runners. Substrate is ADA New Amazonia (Multi-Type).

Let me know if yours melts. I can just send you a few stems on me if you'd like. Just pay shipping.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I've never heard so many diverse experiences with a single plant. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep it and see how it does :)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I'm really surprised at the lack of interest in this plant by a majority of the US planted-tank keepers.
I think many people have still not heard about it, and the other reason is the ridiculous prices that hobbyists have been selling it for. But that should be changing. It is now being grown by Florida Aquatic nurseries in mass production and sold in bunches of 10 stems wholesale for about a dollar per bunch.

I got two bunches from them. After I photograph them I will be giving them away on my radio show to whoever wants them.

They do grow slow and will not turn red under low light. If you want to achieve that beautiful red color, you are going to need plenty of light. Otherwise it will be green.

It is also normal for this plant to grow horizontal, it is a creeping plant and will easily grow attached to wood, unlike other hygros. In fact, one way to get it red under low light is to put it on a piece of wood near the water surface.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting. Would you tie it to wood like a java fern? Lie the stem flat against the wood like an rhizome and let it grow upwards horizontally from the stem? I might consider doing that cause I can't even get to my substrate, the other hygros completely cover it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I would do it like a java fern, but the roots will actually cement themselves onto the wood, unlike java fern, but I am not sure how long it takes them do do it, so they would need to be held in place for a while. More light the better though... and not 5 or 6 hours a day either... its a tropical plant, 10 hours or more a day

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ok here we go

In this shot the top red arrow shows it attached to wood, the middle one shows it attached to lava rock and the bottom one has it creeping across the substrate, I did nothing special it just sent down roots so i'm guessing if you tied a node to the wood it would eventuually send down roots. I actually have to pull it off all the time becuase I don't want it growing on the wood and rocks.

Here is a pile I took out of the tank

That same pile thrown in a tupperware container with some soil and lights

another bunch of it growing in my 10 gallon

All of this plus a bunch I have thrown away and sold came from a couple stems I bought 3 or 4 months ago.

Len

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a few stems which are growing in low light, low tech plant that are doing quite well. No CO2, no ferts, and very very minimal maintenance. They are mostly growing sideways and have sent many runners. Substrate is ADA New Amazonia (Multi-Type).
Mine is also low light, low tech. My hygro is sending out runners but the main stem has also double in height in the past 2 months I've had it. It's bright green on the top side and still red on the underside. I love it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.