The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a bunch at LFS last week, my question is: Are they suppost to look like branches off a bush? Not like a regular stem but like they where pulled off a larger branch. Now, I pushed them into my substrate and have yet to see a trace of any roots forming ( seen this because fish keep knocking them out of substrate because they have NO ROOTS! ) They aren't mmelting but any leaf that comes off melts immediately. Will these root?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I dont have any first hand experience with this plant, but just ordered some myself. Here is the plant profile on the site.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/m...ygrophila_pinnatifida_Hygrophila_pinnatifida_

From this and other reading online, it appears it is a stem like any other however grows at a much slower rate so that may be why your not seeing roots as fast as some of your other stems. It is said that this plant can also be attached to wood, rock, etc. Maybe try anchoring a piece to a small piece of lava rock, and then bury it. Just to anchor to keep the fish from knocking it out, giving it time to root properly.

Just my 2 pennies, hopefully someone with some first hand experience can chime in. I'll be able to in another week or 2!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah just give them time to root. Mine grows pretty fast under high light and co2. I trim the tall mother plants to promote more compact, bushier growth. This also helps to promote the horizontal shoots that you can trim off and attach to wood or stone. They don't need to be in substrate to grow. They will get most of their nutrients from the water column

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.