The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New to posting, but have been reading for a number of years.

I have a 33 gal (36L x 18H x 12W) with a fluval sky 36" LED. The Lumen output is 1850. The tank is well cycled and has been for several years.

Params are 0 ammonia 0 NitrIte and around 5ppm NitrAte. Temp is 78 and pH is 7.8. I got a phosphate test today and I'm reading somewhere between 0 and .25ppm

I have a large Angel, 6 Cherry barbs, 4 peacock gudgeons, an albino bristle nose pleco and some Amano shrimp. All are full grown aside from the gudgeons.

My problem is my water sprite and hygrophila are growing quickly but are also turning brown and withering away faster than the new growth. I'm not sure what type of hygro. I thought it was polysperma but the leaves aren't getting very big. I got these plants because I am looking for an easy and fast growing plant.

Any ideas? I've attached a few photos of the browning.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water sprite has been about a month. What you see is actually completely new growth on the water sprite. All the old stuff melted away. As soon as their was some roots propogating off the main stem I pulled them and floated until the roots were long enough to plant .

The hygro is only about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that too. There is no PAR info on the box either. I know my light isn't that strong but it had to be good enough for thsee low light plants if I am seeing some growth.

I dosed some flourish excel and comprehensive this morning and got some noticeable growth between lights on and when I got home from work 8 hours later. Heck even the java moss seems to have a couple new green spots on it! I'm wondering now if they're just starving for some nutrients.

I'm going to try and float the bigger water sprite for a week or so and continue to (lightly) dose excel. At worst the bigger plant dies off and I'll have a bunch of new root shoot offs to try again with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.