The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be upgrading to a pressurized system and I'm stuck between buying a new 10lb and a used 10lb. I can save about 20 or so bucks with the used, but it was last hydro tested in late 2009 so I'm thinking it's going to be needing a test within a little more than a year (I figured it was every five years, but I'm not sure).

My question is, if I buy a new tank, say a tank from AP, will that not need to be tested for another five years because it's new? Also, how does it work...will a refill place literally never touch a tank unless it's had it's testing?

I'd rather just buy the new tank if I'm going to have to spend the money to have a used one tested in a year. Not to mention, I briefly read that some of the newer tanks now require testing every 10 years instead of 5. Not sure if AP's tanks would qualify for this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also think a new tank is the better choice. However, does a new tank need to be tested? AP claims the DOT stamps on their tanks are usually only a few days or weeks old, so I'm guessing this means I basically won't need a test for roughly 5 years? The DOT stamp is related to Hydro testing correct? (Sorry, I am quite ignorant when it comes to these nitty gritty details)

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
If the DOT stamps are new, then you will not require testing for 5 years (testing is required 5 years after the year/month stamp).

The DOT stamp is the last time that the cylinder was tested and deemed safe to transport.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
You will not be able to refill once you hit the 5 year mark. I would be worried if you found a place that did.

However, it doesn't really matter if you are exchanging, rather than refilling. I personally exchange my tank, not refill, so I basically never have to worry about testing. I don't mind if I have a super nice looking tank so exchanging is fast, easy, etc. However, you may end up with an ugly tank, especially if it's steal.

I know some members bought beautiful new tanks, only to find that nobody in their area refills, only exchanges out tanks. That sucks when you have a new tank that you basically donate for an old one. So, take that into consideration.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I also think a new tank is the better choice. However, does a new tank need to be tested? AP claims the DOT stamps on their tanks are usually only a few days or weeks old, so I'm guessing this means I basically won't need a test for roughly 5 years? The DOT stamp is related to Hydro testing correct? (Sorry, I am quite ignorant when it comes to these nitty gritty details)
I know AP used to be pretty good about selling fresh tanks from the manufacturer they are purchasing from (if I were to venture a guess, I'd say maybe no more than a couple months from the manufacturing date).

There will be will be a series of numbers and letters stamped on the neck of the cylinder... I was too lazy to get on my knees with a flashlight to look at one of mine, so I pulled an example off BrewBurp.org -
DOT-3AL 1800 X16022 LUXFER 02A06 5#CO2 TW7.6

The 02A06 is the mfg. date (that's where your 5 year test date comes into play), and stands for Feb. 2006. This tank should have been retested at the first of 2011. Here's what the remaining information means:
DOT-3AL ~ DOT class 3 aluminum
1800 ~ 1800 psi rated pressure
X16022 ~ Lot number
LUXFER ~ mfg. name
5#CO2 ~ max. fill rate of CO2
TW7.6 ~ Tare weight, empty tank weight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.