The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've just recently got a small greenhouse running to grow aquarium plants emersed for testing. I am only using rock wool and mesh pot as growing media with flood and drain system. No fish are involved in this operation so not aquaponics.

I am not sure what fertilizers are more cost effective or suitable for growing aquarium plants in a hydroponic system.
As searched, most hydroponic fertilizer available in the market are meant for growing foods. Will that be advisable to use for aquatic plants?
Also, I have been using prepack aquarium fertilizer for my aquariums, but usually this type of fertilizers are made using the lean dosing system and they are expensive.

If anyone grows aquatic plants via a method of hydroponics I am very keen to hear from you.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Aquaponic ferts can work, as they are meant to work with fish in mind. Though they are made for terrestrial plants. My honest suggestion is to look at active ingredients and let that guide you. Agriculture stores often have dry ingredients for ferts that can crossover to use in aquariums but you've gotta do your research. Another cheaper option is ordering dry ferts and mixing your own. 2hraquarist has a good article on dry ferts that might be right up your alley. I don't have the link on hand but you can google it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would use the hydroponics in the very lightest dose- break them up. Growing terrestrial plants usually means growing plants much more massive than our aquarium plants are. Like I've said before- leave an aquarium plant in the sun (out of water) for a day and you have dust left.
I did have ants..true story.. remove Osmocote type beads of some type ( small as birdseed) out of a plant I had on my 240 gallon. Then ants were dropping them into the aquarium without my knowing it from a pile they had made..as they added more pellets, some pellets were going into the tank and my plants turned a darker green,more growth,but algae reared its head. Still,I wonder who sells that bird seed sized fertilizer? It worked!
btw,the top of my tank has some potted plants and a giant Syngonium and it is easy for things to be hidden in that tangle.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Not to insult the forum, but this question is better suited to a hydroponics forum. My background is in horticulture (though not hydroponics, sorry!) and I think you'll find more commonality in how to grow different types of plants hydroponically than growing the same species submerged vs. emersed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.