The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with using Hydrogen Peroxide as a treatment for brown hair algae? I've seen some info for saltwater tanks, but not much for freshwater planted tanks. Currently have a low tech 7 gallon planted tank with anubias, java fern, monte carlo, pearl weed, rotala, and some floating plants. Light is on 8 hours a day with 2 hour slow ramp up and 2 hour ramp down (4 hours of full light). Changing water twice a week 40 percent. Did some thrive fertilizer earlier but stopped in hopes of slowing down the algae which seemed to work. About 2 months old with a betta and some otos. Seems like the only algae growing is brown hair algae, all over the leaves, wood and rocks. I try to remove as much as possible each water change but it grows back every time. Water parameters look good. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
374 Posts
This video from Marks Shrimp Tanks was the best info I could find recently:

Obviously has a shrimp focus, but I was working on basis that shrimp were the most sensitive tank inhabitants I cared about, so what was ok for them was ok for plants.

The dose he recommends (1.5ml per 4.5 liters from memory but pls check, then let it stand filter off for 1 hour) cleared all the hair algae from the Christmas moss in my shrimp tank practically overnight. It did not harm my red cherry shrimp or the moss, salvinia and subwassertang in my tank. Recommended to remove snails, bit it didn't affect the trumpet snail babies crawling over my glass.

My aim was actually to kill a few hydra in the tank. It did instantly dissolve those who got a direct squirt of HP, but the general concentration doesn't seem to be enough to get rid of those hiding elsewhere in the tank.

Hope that helps. Regards, James

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just followed his video instructions last week with good results. I've tried global HP treatments in the past for green hair alagae and it wasn't very effective. Recently had a brown hair algae outbreak and decided to try 1.5ml per gallon as suggested since I have Amanos. I did it for 2 days in a row but I think constant movement is better than letting it sit since it's more dense than water. So I removed my filter media and ran my filter with the HP to create flow. Pretty much bleached all the brown hair algae away and my Amanos ate it up. They didn't seem to mind the concentration at all and it didn't seem to effect my tank cycle.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just be sure to note that the suggested dose is per UK gallon (4.5 litres) not US gallon (3.8 litres). Seems some confusion at the start of the video and using US gallons would result in stronger dosage than suggested (although some comments below video mention using higher doses with no problem so maybe not actually an issue?)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just be sure to note that the suggested dose is per UK gallon (4.5 litres) not US gallon (3.8 litres). Seems some confusion at the start of the video and using US gallons would result in stronger dosage than suggested (although some comments below video mention using higher doses with no problem so maybe not actually an issue?)
I just used US gallon with no ill effects.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I did another treatment using 2ml / UK gallon (4.5l) which I think works out at about 1.7ml / US gallon (3.8l). No ill effects to RCS, trumpet snails (including babies) or mosses. But also didn't seem to make much difference to effectiveness against the hydra I was trying to get rid of.

Guess either dose is probably "safe"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts