The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my pressurized system running a few days ago. Problem is won the japan a couple weeks ago in a ROAK and it has picked up some algae, looks to be hair algae still pretty sma though and hard to tell. I want to postpone trimming off the older growth with algae(most of the stuff is older growth) until it gets rooted firmly. Question is if this plant is tolerant to peroxide? if not a direct dip then at least spot treating in tank which I will most likely do. I also have exce on hand I could use to knock it back a bit but peroxide is generally safer and less harsh on plants and I really dont want to wipe out the little bit I have.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just got my pressurized system running a few days ago. Problem is won the japan a couple weeks ago in a ROAK and it has picked up some algae, looks to be hair algae still pretty sma though and hard to tell. I want to postpone trimming off the older growth with algae(most of the stuff is older growth) until it gets rooted firmly. Question is if this plant is tolerant to peroxide? if not a direct dip then at least spot treating in tank which I will most likely do. I also have exce on hand I could use to knock it back a bit but peroxide is generally safer and less harsh on plants and I really dont want to wipe out the little bit I have.
I've used really strong h2o2 on all my hydrocotyle species and have had no problem, but usually for hair algae the best thing is amano shrimps if your tank allows you to :D
What you can try also is just take the plant out, leave it for a little bit so it gets just alittle dry and dunk it in tap water and put it back in. I had a few strands growing on the glass of a tank awhile back, I just did a water change - let it dry a little bit, fill with tap and disappeared.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have angels and dwarf loaches so i dont want to risk shrimp that I cant reproduce :) as soon as my pumpkin population takes off sone will definitely be going in though. I hadnt thought about drying them a bit, that is an effective means for hair algae, I just wonder how the plants would handle it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have angels and dwarf loaches so i dont want to risk shrimp that I cant reproduce :) as soon as my pumpkin population takes off sone will definitely be going in though. I hadnt thought about drying them a bit, that is an effective means for hair algae, I just wonder how the plants would handle it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Very well actually, i have some growing in a dry state and the look just as great .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.