The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a new shrimp tank I'm cycling since 10/22 and I just noticed the glass covered in green hydra. I also saw a 1/4" planaria. No shrimp yet so I'm going to order some no planaria.
Since nothing is in the tank do I just do a normal dose? Do I have to worry about the remaining meds after?
Should I use charcoal after or just water change?

Sorry sidewaze pic it's straight before I uploaded.

Tank specs 9.6 gallon
Temp 74 reduced it down from 78.
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Lights 8hrs
pH 6.4
Kh 0
Gh 5
Tds 114
3/4 ml exel daily.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have a read of this thread @latchdan, hope it helps:

Eliminating hydra in a shrimp tank - success at last!

Hydra are easier to get rid of than planaria (I think!). I'd go with the recommended dose and make sure you do the full 3-day course (hydra will fall almost immediately, planaria might take a while longer?). Guess you could afford to over-dose slightly given no livestock in the tank yet just to be sure you eliminate all the nasties, but probably no need.

Water change after should be enough, I don't think the No Planaria hangs around much and it is shrimp safe anyway (at recommended dose etc etc) so no need to worry.

Excel *might* not be optimal for your shrimp going forward once everything stabilised. So many threads on here about that topic, assuming you haven't already seen them, but just something to consider. Worth reading the various threads and then coming to your own conclusions vs how "shrimp optimal" daily Excel dosing is.

Regards, James

P.S. Enjoy the hydra while they are there! Amazing little creatures, back light with a torch in a dark room and have a close look with a magnifiying glass. Nice to appreciate them, at least until you destroy them all reday for your shrimp! :)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a read of this thread @latchdan, hope it helps:

Eliminating hydra in a shrimp tank - success at last!

Hydra are easier to get rid of than planaria (I think!). I'd go with the recommended dose and make sure you do the full 3-day course (hydra will fall almost immediately, planaria might take a while longer?). Guess you could afford to over-dose slightly given no livestock in the tank yet just to be sure you eliminate all the nasties, but probably no need.

Water change after should be enough, I don't think the No Planaria hangs around much and it is shrimp safe anyway (at recommended dose etc etc) so no need to worry.

Excel *might* not be optimal for your shrimp going forward once everything stabilised. So many threads on here about that topic, assuming you haven't already seen them, but just something to consider. Worth reading the various threads and then coming to your own conclusions vs how "shrimp optimal" daily Excel dosing is.

Regards, James

P.S. Enjoy the hydra while they are there! Amazing little creatures, back light with a torch in a dark room and have a close look with a magnifiying glass. Nice to appreciate them, at least until you destroy them all reday for your shrimp! :)
Thanks for the info. I've read excel isn't great for shrimp just trying to see if it will help the plants while no shrimp yet.
This is the second time I've experienced hydra and planaria. Last time was 5 or 6 years ago in a rcs tank I had.
I just threw out expired no planaria a couple weeks ago too haha.

The hydra are pretty neat though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.