The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hydras, Shrimps, and a whole lot of copepods

1446 2
Hi Everyone,
I have a 5 gallon jar that is housing juvenile shrimps, the jar is fully cycled but unfortunately, this led to large amounts of random copepods. With a lot of microorganisms, this then brought the hydras. I have treated this jar with fenbendazole(very diluted) and the hydras disappeared but it looks like they are back with vengeance. Now that I have hydras again, I'm wondering what I should do next. Is there a nano fish out there that will eat the hydras? Or should I get a heater and heat the jar up to 105 degrees? Do you think pygmys cories will eat copepods? I do know that I don't want to treat this tank with meds again. Let me know what your opinion are, always grateful for any advice out there. :grin2:
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd like to know too. I stuck some subwassertang I got from someone into a jar, with a filter, never fed it, never added anything else living other than some hornwort, which got removed, gave it light, and after some time it got algae then after more time I saw some little things flicking around, and then worms on the glass.

I wonder if these are all things that are safe to put in a tank with fish and if the fish will eat them, but preferably I'd just like to get rid of them before I use the subwassertang.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a 5 gallon jar that is housing juvenile shrimps, the jar is fully cycled but unfortunately, this led to large amounts of random copepods. With a lot of microorganisms, this then brought the hydras. I have treated this jar with fenbendazole(very diluted) and the hydras disappeared but it looks like they are back with vengeance. Now that I have hydras again, I'm wondering what I should do next. Is there a nano fish out there that will eat the hydras? Or should I get a heater and heat the jar up to 105 degrees? Do you think pygmys cories will eat copepods? I do know that I don't want to treat this tank with meds again. Let me know what your opinion are, always grateful for any advice out there. :grin2:

You might not have used a large enough dose of Fenbendazole. That usually kills hydras quickly within one dose. Fastest way to get rid of them is to dose with Fenbendazole again, No Planaria, or Planaria Zero.

Copepods you are kind of stuck with... although I did notice a huge population decrease in one tank that had a population boom of copepods. It didn't kill them all off, but I had used H2O2 to treat the tank. Removed the filter media but ran the filter while I dosed the tank for 5 days.

There are fish that will eat hydra and copepods, but they will also eat young shrimp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.