The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have Hydra in my 35G tank... Could've gotten in there from a number of sources and I've learned my lesson to rinse everything in bleach, alum or the like before putting them in. Ahhhh, hindsight.

Anyway, am I crazy for not caring all that much? In the tank right now I've got 11 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Amano Shrimp, 2 Nerite Snails and a bunch of pond snails (that I also don't care about having [why do people hate them so much?]). The tank is heavily planted (see it here) and it seems that everything I've looked into including Clout, Bausman's Fish Tonic and Fenbendazole is going to either damage my plants or affect/kill my Nerites or my Shrimp.

Am I correct for assuming that the pond snails (they eat hydra correct?) and keeping the feeding to a minimum will keep them in check? I actually like the idea of having a fully functioning eco-system in my tank (Hydra eat the copepods, snails eat the hydra, etc.) and the only negative effect I've seen so far is that every once in a while a Rasbora will try to eat one and not like that very much. I'm not planning on breeding anything in this tank so fry and baby inverts are not an issue.

Any advice or ideas or support would be appreciated.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I've personally got them in a tank with shrimp, fish, nerites and ramshorns.

I haven't cared MUCH. but I do know I will eventually treat. I have green hydra, what do you have?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't cared MUCH. but I do know I will eventually treat. I have green hydra, what do you have?
I've got the clear, white ones. I guess that's better as they're pretty translucent and you really only see them if you're right up close to the tank. Can you kill off the green ones by blacking them out since they photosynthesize?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got hydra in my 40. As far as I know they are only dangerous to tiny critters like fry and little things. I didn't like them so I treated with fenbendazole and that got rid of them. My plants seemed fine, my fish seemed fine, and my MTS (which are the only snails I cared about) seemed fine.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
I've got the clear, white ones. I guess that's better as they're pretty translucent and you really only see them if you're right up close to the tank. Can you kill off the green ones by blacking them out since they photosynthesize?
I heard the green ones were the least dangerous of the hydra, but I'm not sure. They don't seem to die during black outs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't like them so I treated with fenbendazole and that got rid of them. My plants seemed fine, my fish seemed fine, and my MTS (which are the only snails I cared about) seemed fine.
Did you follow the 0.1g per 10 gallons of water recipe? I'm mostly concerned about the Nerites as I've heard it can kill them. I can move them into my shrimp tank temporarily while I treat the 35G too. It seems like people have had the most success with fenbendazole.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did you follow the 0.1g per 10 gallons of water recipe? I'm mostly concerned about the Nerites as I've heard it can kill them. I can move them into my shrimp tank temporarily while I treat the 35G too. It seems like people have had the most success with fenbendazole.
Yes, I went and bought fenbendazole powder for deworming dogs at petsmart and used .1 gram for 10 gallons. It is not water soluble, but I found it helped to put it in a small container of water and let it soak overnight, then use a syringe to squirt the concentrated liquid onto areas where you see concentrations of hydra. It will leave white blobs all over your tank, and make it cloudy for a while. I can't remember how long I left it in before doing a big water change and putting carbon in my filter though. My more recent use of fenbendazole was to de-worm one of my fish who had camalanus worms, so the timeline on usage is getting a bit crossed with that.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
The dosing routine is 1/10 of a package for 10 gallons.

So when I dosed to kill planaria, I did 1/10 then I took 2/10 of the separated stuff, as I only had 2 gallons. Dosing is easy, just shake it up in your next water change fluid.

I would remove nerites, but my snails were unharmed last time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.