The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I used Joe's juice since I only had a few. Its for unwanted anemones in a reef tank and I already had it so I thought what the heck. It worked. I think it beats putting dog wormer in the tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yea, I've used Dog dewormer also. Works FAST!

Buy one with "Fenbendazole" that's what you need!

Steve

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've used SafeGuard Dog De-wormer, be sure it's Fenbendazole. It worked great. I used it in my shrimp tank, and no effect on any of my shrimps including the babies.

I did 0.1 gram for 10 gallon. I got the med at Walmart in dog food section.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
The thing about the dewormer is that it harms nerites and possibly, other snails. If you have nerites in the tank, I would recommend you remove it first or else they'll all try to scramble to the top. Ones that don't eventually die.

I have nerites in all my tanks and I plan on keeping them in there for as long as that tank runs. Because of this, instead of using dog dewormer, I just throw in spixi snails into the tank. My hydra population disappears a week or two after spixi introduction.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dosed 2x excel in a badly infested hydra tank.
Immediate effect on the hydra - they shriveled up and after 3 days and most had turned white.

Dosed 2x once more and haven't seen hydra since.

GL. My shrimp are much happier without the hydras.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The thing about the dewormer is that it harms nerites and possibly, other snails. If you have nerites in the tank, I would recommend you remove it first or else they'll all try to scramble to the top. Ones that don't eventually die.

I have nerites in all my tanks and I plan on keeping them in there for as long as that tank runs. Because of this, instead of using dog dewormer, I just throw in spixi snails into the tank. My hydra population disappears a week or two after spixi introduction.
Ill have to get some spixi snails seems to do the least harm. Anyone else have success with spixi?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ill have to get some spixi snails seems to do the least harm. Anyone else have success with spixi?
I got some spixi and they did rid of hydra in one of my tanks, the problem is that they are prolific breeders and they do eat some of my plants.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Choose your spixi snail wisely. I use juvies, bb size to marble seems to work best for me. Their small size allows better mobility and are less destructive in my opinion. I remove anything bigger into a spixi production tank. This way, they can breed in a tank that I want them to breed in to produce more babies that I can use as hydra removers.

My shrimp tanks are mostly 20 gallon longs, no bigger than that. Tanks of this size will only need a few snails. I use about 2-4, depending on size. 4 if they're all bb pellet size, 2-3 if they're around marble sized.

Controlling your spixi breeding is simple, limit feeding. If you feed lightly, they WON'T breed for you. To encourage breeding, feed a lot. Like, two pellets a day or something like that (Depending on your population of course!). I only feed my shrimp tanks once every 2-3 days, sometimes every other day. All shrimp tanks include spixis, as well as nerites. Spixi eats my hydras and other random pests, nerites eat algae. Win-win!

I <3 inverts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@ Ebichua

What's your PH like in your shrimp tanks? have your snails experienced shell wear or discoloration? I wanted some zebra nerites and spixis in my tank but am scared that their shells will melt..

Also, does dewormer kill all the little crittters? i.e. seed shrimp, limpets, etc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.