The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked into my tank the other day and noticed some hydra hanging on the front and sides. Upon closer inspection, I saw them everywhere!

To start I scrapped them off the tank walls and removed them, did a 50% water change and removed the most heavily affected plants and rocks. I'm sure this won't solve the problem, but I thought it might be a start. Plus, I noticed tons of cyclops, so I'm going to turn the filter off for a few days, possibly longer.

I'm not going to feed the shrimps for awhile, until they've taken care of some of the algae.

Any other suggestions for removing them without harming the shrimps?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I saw a large hydra grab one of my baby angels once.... the baby barely fought free, so I don't think baby shrimplets would have much of a chance.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I saw a large hydra grab one of my baby angels once.... the baby barely fought free, so I don't think baby shrimplets would have much of a chance.
Wow! :icon_eek: Poor thing, aren't they listed as "harmless" on the bug sticky?:help:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Mine were exceptionally large, but if I can get them that large and dangerous, then I am sure that other people get them that big, too.

Of course, baby angels are really small, so they probably would be 'harmless' in most cases.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've read about ramshorn snails eating hydra. I bet those would be your safest route.

Sorry about making this a "I've heard someone did..." thing hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts