The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a five gallon that’s home to 4 mystery snails, 4 amino shrimp, a bunch of ramshorns and some pond snails. I had 6 mysteries but lost two recently and quickly. I noticed the hydra not long after. I’ve watched many utube videos on how to get rid of it. Some say it’s ok to use fenbendisole with snails and shrimp, some say remove them. I’m curious as to weather anyone has delt with hydra and snails and what dosage of Panacur C do I use for a five gallon. All videos state o.o1 for ten gallons. I’m confused by this. Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,937 Posts
There's not a reason to panic. Many snails - especially larger Mystery Snails - will eat hydra.

My Pond and Bladder Snails have nixed pretty much any hydra I've ever seen in my tanks.

Unless you have hundreds of them, just try manual removal. If your Mystery Snails died, it's likely not because of hydra.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fenbendazole will kill all the hydra overnight. I don't have snails so I don't know how it affects snails. But it does not affect 2 day free swimming baby Angelfish. The dosage is 0.1 g per 10 gallons. Divide the 1 gram packet into ten piles and dose one per 10 gallons.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Fenbendazole kills fancy snails

And it can take 6-9 months.... MINIMUM.... before the tank is safe again....... for said snails

(not from personal experience... just what others have noticed after using that product)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nerites really get affected hard by those meds. Took about 6 months before my 75 was ok to put them back in, without them going into a coma basically... Bladder snails cruised through like nothing. I didnt have mystery snails at the time so can't say how they'd do from personal experience.

Reactions: Zoidburg

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Planaria Zero has saved me three times over the last two years. Despite the name, it doesn’t just kill planaria, but it kills 95% hydra overnight the rest within a couple of days, Unless you read Japanese Kanji, you’ll need a cheat sheet dosing guide.bThere is a great dosing schedule at Fishlab.com . But warning :it will kill snails! Remove the snails you want to keep and as a bonus (in my mind), within a few days, pest snails are killed also.

If your LFS doesn’t carry it (most don’t), get it on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
16,937 Posts
Okay. Let's have some real talk here. A freakout over snails or hydra is beyond unnecessary. They're not scary and not a reason for panic. Dosing an entire tank with de-wormer is also unnecessary 99.99999% of the time. That's, plainly, unhealthy (bad) advice. Not a personal attack or criticism - just something I know from a lifetime of experience. Don't take this route unless you have enough experience to have taken this route for several years and understand from years of experience how to deal with all of the potential problems.

If there are so many hydra they can't be manually removed, you've got a problem that needs addressing beyond what a medication can accomplish. Yes, it's the easy way out. But it's unnecessary, not something anyone with any real invertebrate experience would do and is potentially problematic for the life of a tank. It can also lead to problems within your shrimp colony. Anyone suggesting otherwise hasn't been at this hobby very long and likely won't be involved for much longer.

Nothing good happens fast in a planted tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.