The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a CO2 diffuser for my 55 US/gal tank. I am running a 20lb CO2 tank with JBJ regulator and now I need a diffuser.

which one would you recomend Hydor turbo diffuser or Rex Grigg and why?

or if you think of any other's that work better than the two please let me know too.

thank you always for your input.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The Hydor power diffusor is a spinning propellar attached to a small pump/powerhead. The co2 feeds into the powerhead and the propellar breaks the bubbles into smaller bubbles. Its not much better than just a powerhead, in fact on the Practical Fishkeeping forum, someone said they got better diffusion just attaching the Co2 line to a powerhead.

Diffusors usually just bubble the gas in the water through an airstone or pump. A reactor mixes the gas with water inside a chamber and then pumps the enriched water into the aquarium without any bubbles rising to the water surface and disappating. There are reactors that sit inside the aquarium and outside the aquarium.

In line reactors are outside the aquarium and attached to the outflow of a canister filter or a pump. Aqua medics Reactor 1000 is one of the best.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have at one point in the past tried both types, and i have to agree with everything Robert said. they each have their pro and cons.

as far as performance of the hydor, it actually works half decent for creating small bubbles. i was using the smallest one to keep the footprint in the tank to the minimum. it was actually too small, so i had to use the large suction cup base that comes with it to prevent it from falling over and moving all around. so it ended up being a bigger presence in the tank that i initially hoped. the foam on the front is prone to becoming clogged. the open impeller design found at least one victim (i.e., oto). i had tried it out as an alternative to an in-tank diffuser in order to reduce the maintenance of cleaning ceramic disks, etc and ended up with as much maintenance - just in a different way.

as far as the lowest maintenance diffusion devices are concerned, you can't beat a reactor. no moving parts, no parts to clean, very efficient, can be hidden in your stand, can be built diy very cheaply, etc. after using many types of CO2 devices over the years, i've pretty much moved all my tanks over to reactors for those reasons.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use the Rex Grigg type. I adapted it by inserting rigid tubing into the top so that one end is approximately 1.5 inches into the column and the other end is attached to flexible tubing. When the CO2 bubble inside the reactor gets too large the excess flows through the rigid tube into flex tubing which leads to a power head inside my tank. The best of both worlds; the Grigg reactor is inexpensive to make and run, and the power head provides extra circulation when it's not also breaking up the excess CO2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts