The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Maybe tie cheesecloth around the outside? Then you'll have to deal with a lot of cleaning due to plant matter (if you have a lot of floating leaves and crap like I do).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Restricting the flow will likely result in the early demise of the pump.
Not much of a restriction if you keep it clean. Plus those pumps (early models at least) weren't built very well either. I sent three in before finally getting one that lasted longer than two months.

On the flip side.....I do own a baker's dozen of them. They must have worked out the flaws. The inside of the area where the prop goes on the early models (ones I had) were rough with pieces of plastic still attached from the modeling process. Even had one prop that was thicker on one side than the other!

And I have seen fish sucked into a Koralia. Panda Gobies and another goby.....for the life of me the name escapes me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Koralia 2 and I know my amano shrimp have no problem at all around the intake around the pump. There really isn't that much force sucking in. Since the intake is spread around the entire pump, the water will just flow from the less restrictive side. It's not like a regular pump with a single intake point. My shrimp sit on it for hours on end eating whatever crud gets sucked up and stuck. Smaller shrimp I could see as a problem but the intake force really isn't as strong as you might think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.