The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I love new old stuff. I have 4 Hydor Koralia Nano 12V Wave/Circulation Pumps. Naturally, I'm not using them as wave pumps. Rather, I will be installing 1 in each of my 40 20Ls and will use them as circulation pumps to momentarily increase circulation in the aquariums just prior to automatic water changes (the idea is to stir things up a bit before the water drain cycle).

So, I'm posting a picture of them because I am having trouble identifying what the connector is called. I'd rather not clip off the connectors, but instead will just install 4 ports on my diy water change controller that will be fed directly from a 12 volt dc power supply.

Does anyone know what these type of connectors are called? Second, anyone ran small wave pumps directly from a full 12v dc for an extended amount of time (several minutes)? (ok, most wave pumps are 24v, but these are 12v)

Eventually, I might play a little bit with varying the voltage on them .. but for the time being, fixed voltage, fixed speed is the plan.

Not sure why the foto isn't showing, but here is a link: http://www.sonoratechnical.com/images/Projects/HydorKoraliaNano12v.jpg

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it may be. it's a water-tight connector. they sold an extension for it, but I haven't had success locating 4 of them.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
While I see the point of not cutting them off, I also might see it as the easier/quicker way, due to the difficulty of finding a match. Sometimes the hard way works out to be the better way, so I might look at finding matching plugs and do the quick easy part of supply and pay the price on time and effort to do the replacement. At 12VDC, being watertight is not one to bother me as it only affects the corrosion , rather than any danger.
Afraid there is no easy way out as shopping kills me more than working!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I see the point of not cutting them off, I also might see it as the easier/quicker way, due to the difficulty of finding a match. Sometimes the hard way works out to be the better way, so I might look at finding matching plugs and do the quick easy part of supply and pay the price on time and effort to do the replacement. At 12VDC, being watertight is not one to bother me as it only affects the corrosion , rather than any danger.
Afraid there is no easy way out as shopping kills me more than working!
I agree Rich, .. However, If I decide the circ pumps are useless to me, I might be able to sell the lot of the them if I don't modify them. Dave below you found the connectors.. so for $8, I can avoid cutting up the pump cords.

Your picture looks like it’s distored out of proportion but looks like one of these, which is a dc car wiring connector.
https://www.amazon.com/YETOR-Waterproof-Electrical-Connectors-Connections/dp/B07QGZYXDR
Dave, that is exactly the connector. I searched, but couldn't' find them. Great work on your part. Thank you! Will order a 5 pack.. and just use one part of it to mount into my auto water change enclosure.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Sounds like a solution. We never know what we don't know and spotting what a small plug may be is definitely not my field. I used to work in a telco mobile shop where we installed the old mobile phones, etc. ( Back when they were screwed to the hump!) and we would get odd plugs that we did not know but our solution was to simply cut them off and go back with our parts, rather than search for a match. We always had the soldering iron hot and had our plugs but finding matching could have taken weeks. Can't do that when you've told the customer that he gets his car back in four hours!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I finally got around to using these 4 wave pumps..... and guess what.... they are not 12v DC.... They are a bizarre 12V AC w/ an odd shaped sine wave... (really about 16v too). It takes very complicated electronics to do speed control with them... It's beyond my pay grade.. I did research and many DIY folks like me have tried and given up. Bummer.. as I was hoping to control them with PWM outputs to vary the voltage from 0-12VDC.

I'm going to try them with a 16v AC doorbell transformer and just see how they work at full speed. (folks had success running them that way, but of course there is no speed control). I'll see if it's too much motion for my 4 20L aquariums. (1 pump in each aquarium just to improve internal circulation).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts