The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a new tank and I bought an external Hydor heater. I planned on running it on a marineland 360 canister filter, the problem is I didn't realize that the hose for the canister is quite a bit larger than the 5/8" hose barb for the Hydor Heater. I thought about plumbing it down, but would this restrict the flow and make the canister work to hard?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hmm, I wouldn't be comfortable reducing the size down like that. It would create a jet effect on the output plus I'm not sure what kind of strain it would put on your filter motor and canister seals.

I've done the reverse though, went from 1/2 to 5/8, that reduced the flow a little bit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd try it and see how it works. Even if the hose had been a 5/8" hose, the nipple itself would have caused a restriction. Overall the amount of restriction is likely small.

I just plumbed a blueline HD30 (3/4" fittings) through a hydor and it didn't seem to slow it down at all.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Mariland 360's ID is 3/4" vs Hydor's 5/8", that's only 1/8" difference. In a similar situation I just removed the Hydor's nuts and used tube clamps with no ill effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.