The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it say in the manual that you have to unplug the heater before putting hands in the tank? Do I really have to unplug it every time I go in there to trim something? Seems unnecessary, right?

·
Registered
675 Posts
The concern is that if there is an electrical leak you could become a path-to-ground. You may or may not decide to be too concerned about it for your own safety. The risks range from no impact, to feeling a tingle, to feeling a shock, which may be painful and may cause further health issues up to and including death.

A GFI *may* reduce your risk while sticking hands into tank while lights/filters/heaters are plugged in.

All of my tank equipment is plugged into a GFCI outlet (well....on my main tank anyway). I risk it on my other tanks (don't unplug anything before sticking my hands in).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm I didn't think it mattered since the heater is outside the tank attached to my filter return hose but if the manual says so it's best to be on the safe side :) Do you guys unplug your filters too then when sticking your hands in? How does something that can shock you not shock the fish?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hmm I didn't think it mattered since the heater is outside the tank attached to my filter return hose but if the manual says so it's best to be on the safe side :) Do you guys unplug your filters too then when sticking your hands in? How does something that can shock you not shock the fish?

Generally the fish in the water don't provide a path to ground. Kind of like (I think) how a bird can sit on a power line.

But provide a path for the power to go somewhere (through your feet into your floor, etc) and that is when the current goes through you as there is a voltage differential between the tank and "Ground" and you become the wire...

Look up GFCI outlets - they have certain requirements with response-speed that is supposed to (in some cases) be fast enough to protect you from serious bodily harm. These are the outlets used near sinks in bathrooms and kitchens. I wired one into my stand from parts at the hardware store. My power strips plug into it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
well the thing is incase of a shock... not that its always going to shock.. :icon_mrgr

its a disclamier for the company incase u do get shocked and they cant get sued, more then the likelyhood of it actually happening.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I have never unplugged my hydor inline when I worked on my tank. In fact, I never even thought about doing that. The only time I unplug it is when I turn my filter off for extended periods of time, but even then the company said it should be able to last a while without the filter on and not burn out. I just don't want to find out where that point is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts