The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200W Hydor ETH in-line heater with my Eheim 2215. Every 50 seconds or so the heater clicks on (light comes on) for a few seconds (10?) and then clicks off (light goes off). This clicking is very irritating ....

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I would check a few things:

1- Make sure it is placed in the proper direction and doesn't have air trapped in it.
2- What temp is the dial on, check it against a thermometer to ensure the temp is proper
3- Is the tank under a vent and is the water cooling down fast? Possibly try to turn the temp up a couple of degrees or down a couple of degrees and see what happens.

Craig

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1- Make sure it is placed in the proper direction and doesn't have air trapped in it. Placed vertical on the return from the canister.
2- What temp is the dial on, check it against a thermometer to ensure the temp is proper. Both the dial and the thermometer read 76F.
3- Is the tank under a vent and is the water cooling down fast? Possibly try to turn the temp up a couple of degrees or down a couple of degrees and see what happens. Exactly what Hydor customer service just suggested.

I just got off the phone with Hydor. They wanted me to change the setting up or down a couple degrees to see if that made a difference. I will see if this works.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just reporting back.... I turned down the temp a couple of degrees and the problem seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
281 Posts
sorry about the thread jack, but is this is good inline heater? i'm a litte scared about the 200w that these things use. do they draw alot of power?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
sorry about the thread jack, but is this is good inline heater? i'm a litte scared about the 200w that these things use. do they draw alot of power?
When they're on, 200 watts.
When they're off, zero watts.

A heater is a heater. They all use a thermostat to turn them on and off as needed. An inline heater is useful as it is easy to hide and the water flow distributes the warmer water more evenly than convection currents will in a low circulation tank.

·
Registered
256 Posts
5/8" and I love mine with my rena XP3 on a 38g. Oddly, I've never heard the click...maybe I'll notice now when the colder months arrive.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I only ever hear it click if my room is dead silent or if I'm actually listening for it (I did because of this thread, lol). It's a normal occurrence when the heater cycles on an off as another member mentioned. Both of my heaters do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts