The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Anyone out there successfully run a Hydor ETH inline heater with a pH probe? I just set up a pH monitor this evening and am seeing that the monitor reads as expected (~6.5) in the tank when the heater is on, but when the heater turns off, the monitor jumps to a reading of 14.0. As soon as the heater comes back on the monitor moves back to the 6.5 reading. If I unplug the heater I get the expected ~6.5 result.

I had a second unused ETH laying around so swapped out for that one and am seeing the same behavior.

I understand from researching that stray voltage in the tank from equipment can cause these kinds of readings from a pH probe.

Wondering if this is a general issue with the design of the Hydor inline heaters, or if I just happen to have two faulty heaters.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Neither faulty heater or design. This just happens. Move the probe if you can. I had the same problem on my tank but with the return pump and air pump. Turning them on/off would make the ph monitor jump. Moving the probe to opposite side fixed the issue. This is on a sump system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probe has been moved all over the tank with the same results. I am not talking about a momentary jump when something switches on or off (I do see that with an filter pump) - when the ETH turns off, the pH reading goes to 14 and stays there until the ETH turns back on, at which point the pH reading jumps back near the expected 6.5 value and gradually adjusts closer to the expect value until the pump turns back off and the value jumps back to 14.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts