The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's my brainstorm on my room divider aquarium. I'm thinking of getting the heaters out of the tank, but the Hydor ETH 300 won't fit on the Fluval FX5 hoses. I'm thinking of using a pump, possibly an Eheim Hobby Pump with the ETH on it's output. Also, was thinking maybe the Pentair lifegard heater module? Was talking to tech support at drs. Foster and Smith and they said I would have to adapt the fittings on the Pentair but it's possible. Has anybody done this before? Pro's, con's, or better ideas? (other than a sump, LOL). The tank only has one short end where all the plumbing must go through.

I'm thinking the pump route instead of another canister because of the space and there will be lag in the hose if I use a canister.

Tina

·
Registered
26 Posts
what is the size difference on the hoses between the Fluval and the Hydor? Can't you just adapt it with hose fittings and make it work?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the size difference on the hoses between the Fluval and the Hydor? Can't you just adapt it with hose fittings and make it work?
No, the FX5 has HUGE corrogated (like vacuum cleaner, >1") type hoses, while the Hydor has 5/8" hose. I do have an XP3 also, but I doubt it'll have much output after the slack in the tubing and having the Hydor on it's output (plus the space it'll take in the stand).

Tina

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
OK, here's my brainstorm on my room divider aquarium. I'm thinking of getting the heaters out of the tank, but the Hydor ETH 300 won't fit on the Fluval FX5 hoses. I'm thinking of using a pump, possibly an Eheim Hobby Pump with the ETH on it's output. Also, was thinking maybe the Pentair lifegard heater module? Was talking to tech support at drs. Foster and Smith and they said I would have to adapt the fittings on the Pentair but it's possible. Has anybody done this before? Pro's, con's, or better ideas? (other than a sump, LOL). The tank only has one short end where all the plumbing must go through.

I'm thinking the pump route instead of another canister because of the space and there will be lag in the hose if I use a canister.

Tina
You can make a manifold out of pvc with the ETH and a CO2 reactor driven by a small pump. You will not need to worry about flow/heat/CO2 distribution with a FX5 on the tank also......DC

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, the FX5 has HUGE corrogated (like vacuum cleaner, >1") type hoses, while the Hydor has 5/8" hose. I do have an XP3 also, but I doubt it'll have much output after the slack in the tubing and having the Hydor on it's output (plus the space it'll take in the stand).

Tina
gotcha. I look forward to seeing how you go about this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts