The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys. I have decided to get the Hydor Professional 600 for my new tank. (Waiting on dollar per gallon, starts on sunday!) I don't care for carbon, and I am wondering with 5 media baskets what do you suggest I use? I of course will keep the bio-sponge and the like. I have ordered 2L of Matrix so at least I will be adding that.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Not trying to push Eheim, but, the Eheim MECH I have in my canister seems to do a pretty good job keeping the larger debris in the bottom of the canister.
The 2L of Matrix should definitely do a good job on the bio side of things. Other than that, probably more course foam?

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
I prefer the bonded filter padding as it seems to stay in 1 piece in the filter better. Loose poly fills seems to find it's way back into the tank, which happens to be going past the pump motor and I don't really like that idea.

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
I buy cheap pillows at the dollar store and use the polyester stuffing. Ive never noticed any fragments getting loose, in either my SunSun 304B or the Hydor 600.

Doesnt the Eheims flow go in the opposite direction than most? Ive never used one, but that may have something to do with it.

Had the Hydor 600 for about 3-4 months and love it so far. It was a little noisy at first but after a couple weeks it became dead silent. They are also rated with the media inside. The gph advertised is the actual gph you'll get.

The fine filter pad that comes with it is most likely meant for a one time use. Mine fell apart after two months at the first cleaning. So dont count on having that very long.

My baskets go bottom to top - course sponge, pillow floss, purigen and a few bio balls, ceramic rings, pillow floss.

The filter comes with a ton of ceramic rings, enough to fill three baskets if you wish. At least mine did, purchased from amazon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.