The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This should look great when it fills up. Lemme know when you want to get another rope.
Will do...unless of course we find one on sunday lol

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Looking good. you sound much happier now that your monsterfish was rehomed... and you have a new monsterfish to chum with hehehe...

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
:p
The dempseys and the like are calmer and less invasive, from experience, I know ebjd for example are about the same in size and temperament as rainbow cichlids...they are very different from regular dempseys based on what I've researched and experienced (I was a cichlids guy when I started fish keeping).

Nothing gets bigger than 6 inches, and the bottom guys stay small too, no bigger than the albino sen.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think the rainbow cichlids are trying to spawn, as they keep digging a small pit in the same spot. I put a rock in that spot to see if they will spawn, because I know they are rock spammers and not pit spawners.

Not sure if the thread fin acaras are trying as well, but I feel like eventually they will. Have to read up on it as I've never breed anything other that cherry shrimp and guppies.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was being sarcastic :) It's a zoo! There's a ton of variety in that tank. Awesome! I'm not a fan of tanks that only grow one or two species of plant and stock one species of fish. It doesn't seem challenging enough and too simple looking. You could take one picture of one area in a tank like yours and see many different varieties of life, like a freshwater reef.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ahh, and yah, it's maybe only half way there in terms of diversity too lol.

Especially in a big tank, I don't see why one would keep only a few species. I can understand in a 10 or smaller but a 75? You've gotta make that interesting.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm wondering what sort of algae eating things I can come up with for this tank. I'm avoiding SAE because I hear they will eat fissidens....I'm wondering if a few flagfish or even just having a few livebearers of some sort (probably either mollies or swordtails as I think platies are too small and guppies are obviously too small) would help?

I'm also kind of wanting to do mystery snails again...but that remains to be seen. The MTS are doing okay though, no idea if ramshorns are breeding or not.

I might throw in some ghost shrimp as well...just as a snack mainly and cause it might be cool if any did survive. But probably mostly as a snack.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So, I've added a few new things....I'll start with pics from sunday that show what I got sunday.....although I got a few things today that I'll show off tomorrow :p

Leopard Jungle Val...doesn't look super stripy, but I'm hoping that it will in time. Should be really cool once it gets going. And besides, if you are going to keep something weedy, might as well be something weedy that looks cool right? :p

Also to note is the rainbow rock I put right there....mainly because my rainbow cichlids (well, the male any who) was digging that spot out...so I put the rock there so he could have something to try and get the female to lay eggs on (his luck with the ladies so far seems to be as good as mine...which is to say....meh at best lol)

I threw some Kompact Hygro with the regular corymbosa....just to add more density to it all.

Because I would never just have bushy nose plecos, I have to do it up with fancyness :p. Two royal farlowella's should do the trick of maybe munching on algae, but looking cool as hell and chilling out in the open. Its cool that they don't really hide, I always seem them up front in plain sight, although they can be hard to find when they are on my wood right in front of my face....cool fish though :p

Oh yah, I got more blyxa....I remember wanting this plant so badly, thinking it was so cool....now I have so much of it, its pretty dense, and I love it XD

P. erectus and L. glandulousa that I got from a LFS...the glandulousa is emersed form, so I'll let it sit here and convert on its own time. Very little melting for now though, so we shall see.

Anyways, I got more fish and more plants today, and am putting in an order of plants with h4n again....because we do that lol. But no spoilers on that yet, not until there are pictures :p

I had to trim some plants down already though, namely the red cabomba that I have in here now...and really like the look of and am going to keep in here, and a bit of the yellow nessea. Hopefully these continue to do well for me, and all the plants that looked rough are showing signs of new and much healthier growth, such as my E. vesuvius.

Also managed to get my rose sword to stay down by cutting off a ton of its old leafs...I left it with only two leafs, but it hasn't been uprooted now and its growing pretty steadily and noticeably, so I'm fine with hacking something back all the way to let it get better established.

Gotta do the same to s. repens some time, as well as my H. brown. The older leafs on the lace plants are starting to brown a bit, but I think that might just be due to being in a different tank, as new leafs are growing steadily.

Only real issue I have to deal with, is killing off some BBA that has decided that the top of the filter outlet is a good place to be, and to get my crypts to take off, and not get algae growing on them, ugh. Although, I suspect that won't be a problem once the sword gets going, the idea being that with the rose sword in the middle, and the lagenandrha behind it, that the crypts can be shaded enough so that there isn't a ton of algae. Same idea on wood #5 with the anubias that I want to put on it. Going to be surrounded by stems, and then hopefully have the big leafs poking out.

Not sure what I want to do with Wood #6 though...I was thinking of moss originally but I don't think I really like that idea. I might just keep it as is, and then use it for more lagenandrha in the future, one the little bit I have takes off. Actually, typing that out, I like that idea, so I think that's my new plan for that area :p

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Notice a few new things?

My fish where wanting to be in the lime light, but I got this R. sp. Vietnam....and it looks so gooooodddddddd. Just put in last night, these pics are from maybe an hour ago at most.

My Blyxa is looking pretty thick. In a week I guess I'll have to start thinning it out or something.

Is it just me, or did the P. erectus grow significantly since sunday? Also, new plant alert. Got some L. inclinata var. Cuba.....I was told to put it in the back, but I think I like how it looks in this area a bit more...shows it off and it has thinner leafs than the Rubin, Atlantis, and Glandulousa, so it should be very nice once it all settles in and establishes.

Just a nice pic of one of the stems. In the future, I might get some pantanal in this tank as well, but I'll wait until I'm selling trimmings from this tank before doing that. And trust me, if all goes well, there will be some trimmings comming out of here that will be well worth peoples time.

The glandulousa. Its doing well, its not losing leafs or anything though, which I find intriguing. I guess we will have to see what happens as it turns.

The mermaid weed that I have going on. Its small since I just took the tops from what I already had and tossed the rest, but it is climbing up...should look pretty cool once it grows to a point where you don't have to look for it in the woodwork. Hoping this turns a nice red for me.

These guys like to move...a lot......got six congo tetras last night as well, and I am super excited as they add a lot of movement and detail to the tank, plus, they are getting along with the rest of the fish, the rainbows especially have taken a liking to them and they kind of congregate with each other. It also seems to be helping to cut down on the aggression of the rainbow cichlids with each other and everything else...that or I think the male just gave up on breeding lol

Just a nice pic of some of the fish being in one area.

My banana plant likes to send these out to try and reach the top...I keep cutting them though because I'd rather not have it make lillies...but then again, since I don't have any floating plants, I might let it send a few up.

But yah, I pretty much have all the fish I want for this tank now. Might add more congo tetras and rainbows later, and another rope fish, and some livebearers or flagtails or something, but that's not stuff I really care too much about getting done right away, if at all even. I do want to add the T. ellioti before the summer is over though, he would probably grow faster, and be able to establish himself sooner rather than later. He would be the smallest cichlid though, but he is a bit bigger than the congo tetras, so he should be fine in that regard.

But plants, I'm going to be getting some in the next week from h4n. And then I will consider this tank completed (for now at least). No tank is truly ever "finished".

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks h4n for noting this to me, what I've been calling P. erectus is actually Hydrotriche hottoniiflora....might explain why this is doing so well for me, but when I got some P. erectus a while ago it just melted on me. Either way, looks very similar and I am happy with it. Just like being as accurate as possible :p

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hydrotriche hottoniiflora grows super, super fast.....but doesn't grow roots and has a thin stem.....its one of like, 3 plants that gets uprooted on me a bit.....I think cutting them and keeping them short for a bit will help with that, as now they are almost as tall as the tank.....

blyxa, some of it sometimes comes up but I have so much I don't really care. And the glandulousa that is converting comes up a bit too

end of the week I should have another picture update, because I'm getting the final bit of plants I want before I call this tank complete

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Will I ever take a straight full tank shot? Probably not. new plants in, courtesy of my friend and your friend, h4n.

New plant #1. A stem of emersed grown Rotala sp. 'Sunset'. I am soooooooo excited to see if I can get this plant to do well for me. It looks so sweet and it seems hard to come by. I'd love to get more of this out there.

What's this? Why, this is only my favorite Echinodorus variety ever. The Aflame Sword. Not much to look at now, but as it grows, its leafs grow in a deep wine red, almost black color. I had one before but lost it during the super storm. In a way, this tank is the combination of things I have lost throughout the years coming together to make one, awesome looking tank.

Aside from the epic close up on a Royal Farlowella, this right here is a small bit of Monte Carlo. I have more coming tomorrow from Tom Barr (I love group orders on expensive plants), and I'm hoping that, over time, I can get a nice patch of this stuff going. To me, it seems like the perfect blend of HC and Glosso, without any of the drawbacks.

Fish make it hard to get good plant pics. Aside from that though, I got some Rotala macrandra 'Japan Red', that I'm hoping will turn blood red for me in the coming weeks.

Anubias hostifolia is now on Wood #4. I'm also noticing that Red Cabomba is a great color indicator, as it is turing very, very green in this tank. I am playing with my photo period still, as my light is a 4x54W T5-HO fixture from catalina. Any advice on ideal lighting duration (I'm trying 8 hours now, with 4 hours in the middle of all 4 bulbs on) would be much obliged.

My crypts are starting to look better, as is the rose sword I hacked down. Not pictured though, as this new addition only got placed here this morning, is some Littorella uniflora that needs some recovering. I have it, currently, placed so that it can grow in-between my C. parva, as both seem to be slow growing plants and are both a very bright green color and small. Seemed like the best place to use this plant.

Nurii is looking good :D

Crummy pic, but my Lagenandhra is looking a little rough. Perhaps it is being restricted by the fishing line used to tie it down? I am unsure, but all I know is that I hope it bounces back, as I don't see this plant around ever and I want it to do well.

More alternanthera, because why not? It should look nice once it grows in.

The leopard val is spreading. Hopefully soon is starts coming in nice and thick.

Some small Pogostemon stellatus. This should like super, super nice once it gets going.

Mini Bolbits on Wood #5

A lot of the Windelov had came unattached (i have poor luck with super glue it seems) But eventually it should stay and take off on me, as regular java fern has in my 10.

I am debating if I like the order of ludwigia's as I have them, but I got in L. inclinata var. 'Twister'. Should look nice once it gets going, but I can't help thinking that having it right in front of the Cuba looks....weird. I might move the cuba behind the glandulousa, the rubin (which doesn't look very happy) and the atlantis, so that its (from the back) green (cuba), red (glandy, atlantis, rubin), green (twisted), red (L. senegalensis and possibly L. inclinata var. Pantanal when/if I get them). Then again, I might just keep the Twisted and Cuba shorter than the Rubin, Atlantis, and Glandy, and have the Sen and Pantanal in the front to make it Red, Green, Red. Idk

I NEED MORE DILPIS DIANDRA.

E. diversifolia is doing well despite being shoved into a corner under some wood. I also suck at cleaning the diatoms off the glass in this corner....meh

H. pinnatifida....hopefully it will do well, it seems to be very slow growing for me, but I have also been keeping it short.

N. micrantha needs to be used more. I like Red Tiger Lotus (hence why I have it) but this is soooo much cooler looking.

Don't worry, I still love you to.

I have a love/hate thing going on with this plant right now. This is the Hydrotriche hottoniiflora I originally thought was P. stellatus. Looks super pretty. Gets uprooted super easily. It has a very flimsy stem. Grows like a weed though. This and Blyxa tend to get uprooted a bit, not the fish, just because of how floaty they are as plants. Might also have to do with the fact I'm using Eco Complete.

T. ellioti is a big boy now (not really, but he can handle himself in here and is as big as the congos so he isn't becoming a meal for anyone). He has sweet fins, and as he gets older and bigger his colors should start coming in more. Already has a lot of blue speckling, and he is always out front and exploring.

You're so pretty but you move too much. Slow down please.

Australian Rainbows. Under rated. Not as flashy as say, Bosmani or those deep burgundy guys, but they have subtle intricacy that makes them so, so pretty. Its the details that make these pretty, and every day they are becoming more and more colorful.

Only things that are annoying me atm are the lack of red plants staying red (upped my co2 and my lights....going to play around with my dosing as well to get everything in balance properly) and my Retropinis bichir never comming out of his little hiding spot.....I see him, I can't get a good pic, I just want him to come out. I'm thinking of getting another rope, that might coax him along, or maybe another small upper jaw bichir. That remains to be seen.

Oh, not pictured for some reason, I got a small bit of Rotala mexicana var. Goias, and some Rotala sp. Bangledesh. Those should both be fun.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Goodness. that's a lot of variety of fish and plants in that tank. You are making me jealous.
How do you feed all of those fish? Do you have trouble feeding any particular fish like maybe the senegal?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
If the Hydrotriche hottoniiflora is dropping needles, there's likely a deficiency. left alone for too long, it gets leggy and sparcely needled. iron and co2 help but to keep it happy, it loves light.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Goodness. that's a lot of variety of fish and plants in that tank. You are making me jealous.
How do you feed all of those fish? Do you have trouble feeding any particular fish like maybe the senegal?
Nope....only fish that I am having trouble feeding atm are the baby BGK that is alone in a 10 gallon (this one concerns me actually...not that I payed a lot for it, but it'd be nice for it to grow out, as it would work well in this tank for a while from what the knife fish people on MFK are telling me), oh, and my retropinnis, idk how its doing as far as food goes, as unlike my sen bichir and ropefish, he doesn't like to come out when I feed. Maybe he cruses around at night, idk.

I feed pretty heavily though, and while the congos and rainbows are pigs, the cichlids take a few seconds to realize there is food, so the congos gorge while the cichlids are just like whu?

The sen and rope both eat whatever sinks to the bottom, which is most of the food I feed, although when I throw in krill the sen has swam to the top and chilled there to grab and eat what he can (my endli did that all the time, oddly, and the sen picked that up from him).

I'm thinking about adding another rope fish or small upper jaw bichir....might get the retro to ease up and come out of hiding.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If the Hydrotriche hottoniiflora is dropping needles, there's likely a deficiency. left alone for too long, it gets leggy and sparcely needled. iron and co2 help but to keep it happy, it loves light.
So far it has not been dropping needles, and its been growing pretty well for me, although I feel I could get it to grow more condensed as well, but I think my lighting is a bit....idk, its weird that my reds are not as red as they should be. I have 8 hours of a 10K and a 6.5K, and then 4 hours in the middle of a 6.5K and a pink grow bulb from catalina (all the lights are from them actually, I just forget the actual name of the thing....meh).

I might just have to replace the 10K and one of the 6.5K's though, as they are a little older than I'd prefer to run (I replaced the burst lighting so they are brand new....the other were originally on burst but it might be better to just replace them anyways)....I might keep the mix though as I like how the 10K brings out the greens in the plants and the blues in the fish....but I might replace the 6.5K with another plant grow bulb.....making my mix a 10K and a plant grow for 8 hours, and a 6.5K and a plant grow for 4 hours. Pending on how things do with those light times as well, I might bring it up to 9 and 5 and then maybe even 10 and 5....maybe.

And I just replenished my ferts so I have plenty of things to dose the tank with. I'm actually going to trim the stems down tomorrow....as I think most of my stems still have a lot of their bottom growth being older growth....so I might just trim the bottoms, throw them into my holding tank, and keep the fresh new tops in here to allow everything to grow adjusted to this tank.

Also, it needs to cool down, my lace plants are not happy with this heat at all.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts