The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

Yay, new pics. Tank looks messy (when doesn't it?) My blyxa sorta decided that it stopped liking me, so I'm going to need more to try that out again. My anubias seem to be happy with me though, which is good. As do my mermaid weeds and my various anubias and rotala. H. Brown is looking a little worse for wear though, alongside my Rubin Sword. But those should recover in time. My co2 isn't exactly pouring out atm either, but I think that's because I need to re-do my needle valve (not enough teflon tape), but I'll get to that at another time I guess, since there is some co2 going through. I also lowered my lighting schedule to accommodate for that.

Angel, I didn't need you in this pic D: lol. No, but really, you can see that my rose sword is growing every so slightly, but not by leaps and bounds. Honestly, I think my swords grow slower than my anubias o_O. Then again, the roots on this guy suck for some reason, no idea why. I added some crypts from my 10 gallon as well, just cause my 10 was getting cluttered. For this tank, I plan on replacing these crypts with some grown out Green Gecko and some other Wendtii varieties, and also want to get some nurrii and other rare crypts going on as well. My aromatica is doing fine, and the cabomba is taking of super well. Not sure if I want to keep it though, or if I will replace with something else in time. Maybe get some e. vesuvius or some other taller grassy like thing to be behind the Lagenandra. I'll see as time goes by.

This plant gets all of my love. Its growing very well for me, and even though the bottoms are leggy from older leafs not doing well, they are sending out new shoots from the bottom so those should fill everything in nicely. Plus, this will shade my anubias well and look super cool once it really gets to the top of my tank.

My Japan Red, where did you go? D: Yah, tbh idk what happened here but what I have still planted seems to be growing and doing okay. I gotta get some more red ones though, these were also bought as Japan Red so maybe its just taking a bit to get going. I also decided that, down the line, the wallichi in front of this will be replaced with vietnam.

I will probably replace this with R. Sunset down the line (cause I wanna have sunset in one of my tanks somewhere, and this seems to be the best place to try it out). That or I might have both, who knows? I know this is doing well though, and based upon the growth, I'm starting to wonder if this could carpet the way that goias can be used as a carpet. Cause I certainly wouldn't mind having a carpet of this, especially since it seems to be growing more horizontally than anything.

Yah, I'll take care of that BBA eventually. But atm its not on anything other than wood and plastic, so its not that terrible. Anubias is doing fine and my ludwigia collection+yao yai seems to be going strong as well. My cuba is starting to take off, I added some Atlantis from my 10 into here, my pantanal is taking off rather well too, my tiger lotus is more green than red but w/e it works, and my mermaid weed is getting super thing leafs too....now for those to turn a nice red will be awesome :p Oddly though, the only thing that seems to be struggling a bit is my glandulousa.....but Rubin and everything else is doing fine so (shrug)

Anubias and OMG BABY LAGENANDRA. That thing grows faster than I expected. I only have this here temporarily, just until it gets a bit bigger and the weather gets warmer. Then I want to sell it to someone, since this stuff needs to get spread around the forums like now.

Parva is parva. Maybe it will fill in more once the co2 gets better....but I doubt it will do much. Still, looks pretty and I like it a lot.

Minimal co2, but my ludwigia are also probably hogging whatever they can get as well. Can't wait for my pantanal and cuba to get really tall and big and bushy. And for my senegalensis to grow up more, cause the colors and patterns on that plant are awesome.

Most of these bubbles are from water change, not co2 or pearling. Oh well.

Because I really like my rainbow cichlids.

I only have two angels now....but I'd love it if they were a pair because I really only want a pair...even if offspring can't survive in this tank.

Still, they are hard to get good pics of.

Gotcha

Would be nice if they were a pair.

Some people on another forum thought this was just a silver. I am here to tell you that this is not just a silver, no lighting effects or editing here (I don't even know how to do fancy stuff like that)

I need to get a full body shot of this guy. He loves where all the ludwigia are though, and he should love it even more when they are taller and he can be under all the leafs.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
plants are looking better!!
Fish are beautiful, i also enjoy the angels. ur actualyl the reason i picked up a tiny little black veil angel this past tuesday :proud:

also: i'll have plenty of blyxa soon if u need some to try out again

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
plants are looking better!!
Fish are beautiful, i also enjoy the angels. ur actualyl the reason i picked up a tiny little black veil angel this past tuesday :proud:

also: i'll have plenty of blyxa soon if u need some to try out again
I feel accomplished, I influenced someone on the Internet to do a thing in real life :D

And sure, lemme know. I tend to see this tank only on an every other weekend base (parents do the rest while in at school...I mean dosing isn't that hard once you're told what to do, neither are water changes...don't think they'd understand how to plant things in certain Places though lol)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I should get some more pics of this 2morrow, and I'll hopefully have them on here by the end of the week (would be sooner but I have a big test coming up so that takes a bit of precedence).

Tank seems to be doing well, one thing though is that I can't get the bubble count to get as high as I should. I think I need to take off the needle valve and put it back on again, but the way the manifold is set up I wouldn't be able to do that without removing the whole manifold from the regulator, then reattaching the needle valve....then reattaching the manifold to the regulator........

Maybe I'll do that over spring break or something, but for now its good enough I feel.
Need to trim some plants too, others need to grow in more before I need to touch them with the scissor as well. Gunna try and get some more plants that I don't have over break as well. And maybe finally sell a thing or two :p

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I will update this later on. I took a set of pics a while ago but seems kinda silly to post them now.

Gunna try and get some more plants and a last few fish next week as well (I'll be having spring break so I'll actually be home with the tanks)

Been busy with school and such, as I will be for a long long time I guess :p

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update without pictures.

I discovered today that my parents apparently cannot spot uneaten fish food when it is left all over the tank.....fish have a bad case of cloudy eye and algae has run rampant. Plants are struggling since they were covered with diatoms and the like but they will bounce back in time. Same with the fish. Nothing worth looking at though.

I had to talk to my folks though about if this tank is too much for them, because with the amount of uneaten food I saw in there that looked as if it'd been in there for over a week, I straight up told them that if they can't take better care of the fish and plants in this tank that we should just tear the whole thing down, because I've been getting sick of having to do 8 hours of work every time I come see this tank >_>

I might sound like I'm being needy/bitchy here, but I know my parents actually like having the tanks around, and they did not want to sell and take down everything and intend on keeping it. So I think we reached an agreement about how to better handle this tank...I have a neighbor that cleans aquariums professionally, so my parents suggested that they would just pay him to take a look at the tank once every other week (still doing water changes themselves once a week and dosing and all that) so that algae and all that does not take over. Although I'm in charge of the tank when I'm around (I prefer it that way anyways).

Also, I'm going to re-do this little 10 gallon quarantine I have so that I can use it to quarantine plants. I'll include that tank in this journal and will be working on it throughout this week, I have 2 t8's on it for now, no co2 (I don't need it to be a super growth tank or anything like that), and will dirt it and all that. Maybe even get a few small inverts going in there just cause I have 2 sponge filters in the thing as it is, so why not? If I ever felt inclined, I could run co2 into it, but I kinda want to avoid that since, I don't feel like getting another bubble counter and such.

I might be getting some more plants into this tank while I'm home for break, and for the love of aquaria I'm hoping to find a pair of bristle nose plecos or something to help with algae/detrius/be awesome since I like plecos as is anyways. I also want to see if I can get snails back in this tank, even if its just MTS and ramshorns.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Look into ghost shrimp.. u can buy hundreds for a few bux, big enough not to be eaten instantly and will give u piece of mind on detritus for a few weeks.
Eventually, they will get eaten but they are cheap, do a decent job, and provide a tasty snack

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I'll take pics tomorrow, but I set up a small 10 gallon with medium light and a soil/sand substrate so that any stem plants that get uprooted can be planted there and NOT destroyed by my korelia :(

Easier this way since I think my parents would have an easier time planting uprooted stems in a 10 as opposed to a 75.

I discovered that the tank had a MASSIVE ammonia outbreak and diatoms everywhere...so my parents must have been over feeding/not paying attention to waste while doing water changes, so I had a talk with them about getting that taken care of because I'm slightly getting frustrated with this tank and the fact they aren't taking care of it the way they said they should. Told them that if they didn't want to do this that I could just sell everything...which they didn't want me to do so we'll see how this all plays out.

I'm happy for their help but if they are going to help then the least I can ask for is that they keep everything alive and healthy, or at least the fish >.> I only have 1 angel left, which makes me very very sad, so I'll have to either find them in the same lfs again (not holding breath) or just order them from somewhere (I believe they are Pinnoy Zebras).

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
This tank is not doing super well, due to various circumstances, so for now I won't be updating this thread...although I will start up a new one now that I know what I'm doing more or less.

I just got a better co2 diffuser and that should fix my problems, then I just need some more fish and a boatload of plants. Look out for this in the future, because I'm too stubborn to give up the idea of monster fish in a planted tank (or as monster as I have anyways lol)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
This tank is getting more plants and better care the moment I get back home for the summer.

And maybe a few more fish, preferably a pair of nice sized bristlenose plecos and maybe an oddball sort of fish, and another cichlid pair....and more angels, because angels are awesome regardless.

But definitely more plants and better care. Especially now that co2 is up to speed.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
:( sorry to hear

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
sorry to hear about your angels. using probiotics could also help with the detris buildup.
What's probiotics?

And idk why I lost the angels...I wasn't home for a month when it happened and my parents apparently didn't even notice (either they got really sick and the bichir ate them, or they died and the bichir ate them....either way the bodies were eaten) I'm going to get new ones at some point over the summer, but I am annoyed about it, and the tank in general. BUT I WON'T GIVE UP. I'm doing a major re-scape over the summer (well....I say that cause I'm going to clean off all the wood and re-do it....but I feel like I'm going to do my hardscape relatively similar to how I've been doing it....)

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I discovered today that my parents apparently cannot spot uneaten fish food when it is left all over the tank. I straight up told them that if they can't take better care of the fish and plants in this tank that we should just tear the whole thing down, because I've been getting sick of having to do 8 hours of work every time I come see this tank >_>
Reminds me of what I came home to when the automatic feeder dumped its contents. Obviously their eyesight is not very good. Why not just tell them to just feed the fish 1x a week and mark it on a calendar. Just feed them good frozen or live food 2 weeks before going off. That is what I do when I go off for a week.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts