The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bastard fish that in my mind should not exist--It is what I believe to be a molly platy hybrid in a heavy stocked and moderately planted tank. This bastard survived as a singly fry among an adult danio, a school of Harlequin Rasboras, a school of Neon Tetras, 2 Serpae Tetras and a filter.

The fish now about 4 months old is yellow like the mother and long, but with a trapezoid platy build (but a long tail and fins like a molly with the orange speckle)--mother is a creamcicle. What I pressume to be the father was a sunset blue mickey mouse platy--only the shine of the scales-in terms of color was passed down to the bastard fish--the mother fish looks smooth like a mackerel--the off spring has the speckle of a trout--but the color is gold and white like the mother--

My biggest fear is that the fish reaches 4 inches like the mother--The mother is huge when compared to the other fish of the tank--a shark of the tank.

15 gallon long Does anyone have experience with this type of hybrid?????

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gimme a day or two, its big enough now, I should be able to get a pick, its bigger than most of my neon tetras.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had not heard of platty and molly crossing. i believe they are different genes of fish
They are close enough. Same family, Poeciliidae--both live bearers--I've come across it enough on the net. Its not super super common but it happens

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The 'Polly', assuming it is not misidentified, is most likely sterile. I do not doubt your claim that it is indeed a hybrid (I've heard of Gambusia hybridizing with swords!), but doubt that the fish is itself capable of breeding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.