The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fun stuff. No power outside of Fayetteville...but cell service and 3G. I can live. Worried about the fish though. I couldn't find a battery operated air pump at petsmart...so how long will fish and filter bacteria generally be alright in case of a prolonged power outage?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
i know cichlids are more stout fish, but i left a tank at my parents house for weeks without a running filter while i was moving into my house. the three cichlids in it were just fine.

i think a couple days of no power will be fine for our tanks. with the lights out and co2 off we're not looking at algae issues and if you need to get some o2 into the water for the fish you could always manually disturb the water by mixing it.

i'm not too concerned, i have more important things to worry about than fish dying... like possible branches coming through windows, flooding, trees uprooting from the saturated ground and keeping my family safe. if all that happens is i lose my $75 worth of fish i'll consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How big are the tanks....a tank that is longer than it is tall should be fine for a few days. Its all about surface area...more water exposed at he surface means more oxygen exchange will take place. I never use air pumps or let my filters disturbs the surface. It can be hard to just let it sit there if ur not used to it, u can always stir it up every half hour if need be.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luckily my power is currently on. I hope it'll last a while if not permanently. :) Fish seemed to be fine but the water did cloud slightly in my actual fish tank...the iwagumi tank and shrimp are doing just fine. Cloudy water reminds me though....I haven't done a WC on my fish tank in like 2 weeks haha.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Water changes is the key. Keep down toxic levels, aerates the water. Use cooler water which should slow fish down a little and also helps retain O2 levels in water column.

Fish can last a while though, especially in larger tanks. Lights off will keep fish somewhat dormant.
Agreed.

Floating ice can help both keep the temps from spiking and keep a slight bit of current going, both of which can help with the O2 levels.

If you live near the coast pay attention to the water coming out of your tap, though- storm surge can sometimes contaminate the water supply.

Sending lots of prayers and thoughts hoping everyone stays safe (tanks, pets, and all!)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Water changes is the key. Keep down toxic levels, aerates the water. Use cooler water which should slow fish down a little and also helps retain O2 levels in water column.

Fish can last a while though, especially in larger tanks. Lights off will keep fish somewhat dormant.
But if you don't have bottled water, I would not use the tap water during a hurricane if any sort of warning is in place about tap water.

·
Banned
943 Posts
My power in spring lake went out about 330pm yesterday and as of this morning 730am is still out. Hope my shrimp will be ok. They look okish I guess. Sucks that all my bacteria in my filter will die though.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
3 days without power this time, but we had a gererator so we only suffered a 5 or 6 hours period without filters running. I continued to dose EI and with some new plants in the tank just on the day the storm hit so they must be sucking up some extra nutrients. I checked my nitrates vs nitrites and they were low and zero so all is well.

Gatekeeper & Scapegoat most likely got hit the worst by this storm, are you guys still out there???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.