The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Please feel free to provide any recommendations. I'm pretty good at the hardware and maintenance but I struggle with aquascaping.

125G Tank w/ 40G sump
Arduino Controller
EI Dosing
Co2
Substrate - I can't remember the name brand but it's basically sand
Ligting - 8 x54W T5. I run 4 bulbs from 8-12 and them 6 bulbs from 4-8.

Fauna:
6 Angels
10 Harlequin Rasbora
20 Neon Tetra
10 Otocinclus
6 Cory Cat (2 Albino, 2 Emerald, 2 Julii)
2 Amano Shrimp
4 mystery snails (2 Gold, 2 Blue)

Full Tank Shot 20151007

[
I use an Arduino controller that I built while I was deployed to Kuwait to control everything in the tack except the water change. I plan on having the controller handling the water change as well but I want to get set up with RO system first. If you would like to read more about the controller a link has been included in my signature block.

I placed the sump in the garage to make it easier for maintenance and to keep the noise down.

As many of you already know, an open top 125 loses a lot of water. I travel all the time for my job so I'm not always home to maintain the water level at the correct level. Adding an auto top off was my favorite upgrade. I bought 4 floating switches and connected a solenoid to my water supply. It's been operating flawlessly for a about 4 months now. Many were concerned about adding an endless water supply to your fish tank. With the sump being in the garage the worst thing that could happen is for water to be all over the garage floor and out the drive way. I wire 2 float switches in parallel for the high and low water levels in the tank. Only one (respectively) has to trip for the solenoid to be turned off and on.

Thanks for checking it out. Here are some random tank shots.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I love your ingenuity and thought that went into the automation of your tank. The planting looks really nice as well. Well done.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love your ingenuity and thought that went into the automation of your tank. The planting looks really nice as well. Well done.
Thanks, but my tank looks like a bowl of weeds compared to yours. WOW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came to this thread because I was searching for your Aurdino tinkery thread, thank you for posting the link.

Regarding aquascaping, I find Aquascaping a Planted Aquarium a wery good all in one place to start with.

I have impression that your decorations: rocks and wood, are too small for your tank size, and are too scatered. Note how ua hua's decorations bravely pass over the 2/3 line of tank height, and their proximity/relation/connections.

Hope you'll find this usefull.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I came to this thread because I was searching for your Aurdino tinkery thread, thank you for posting the link.

Regarding aquascaping, I find Aquascaping a Planted Aquarium a wery good all in one place to start with.

I have impression that your decorations: rocks and wood, are too small for your tank size, and are too scatered. Note how ua hua's decorations bravely pass over the 2/3 line of tank height, and their proximity/relation/connections.

Hope you'll find this usefull.

Thank you for taking the time to post that link. I did briefly look through it. I think it will be a great read when I have more time.

I will have some updates to the tank coming soon.

·
Registered
781 Posts
VERY NICE TANK!!!!! AWESOME AUTOMATION!!!!!!!

I am 4sure going to check out the build of the box out!!! Subscribed to see how this scape continues to grow and fill in!!!

Great Job!!!
Drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts