The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test my single stage reg today and after a series of testing for leaks and on and off switch, I hear a humming noise coming out from a metering valve or a solenoid everytime it turns on.

Is this normal? Does anyone experience this?

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Herns
It is AC hums
the solenoid valve you have is a large power consumption valve, and it is 120V AC, so it hums. :)
DC power solenoid should not have that problem.

add: forgot to mention that there must be something loose inside, so the alternating current->changing magnetic field->coil vibration.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Kevin,
I hunted down a Chell mechanism Ultra-fine precision needle valve and a Hoke Micromite metering valve not long ago.
The chell precision is crazy, not yet test it and I believe a test is not necessary.
the max flow is 0.02 lpm or 0.000706 cfpm(cubic feet per minute) at 20 turn full open, 150 psi pressure differential.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I test my single stage reg today and after a series of testing for leaks and on and off switch, I hear a humming noise coming out from a metering valve or a solenoid everytime it turns on.

Mine does too sometimes. If there's a screw on it tighten it when it's plugged in.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts

This is a normal occurrence. I believe it might have something to do with the your timer. Try just plugging it into the wall and see if it goes away.

The other thing that helps is to loosen up the nut (a little bit) that holds on the coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.