The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was at my friend's grandmother's house, and I noticed that her daughter's mother-in-law (or something, weird living situation over there) had moved in a tank with tetras and guppies. The tetras were HUGE, I could not get over how huge they were.. bigger than the guppies!

she said she has had them for a long time, but I had no idea they could get so big! has anyone else owned any this big? I wish I had measured them or something haha

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think a lot of people are surprised if and when they see just how large a full grown specimen is - most fish sold don't make it bast juvenile size. Kudos to your sis-in-law or whoever has been taking care of them to this point

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I had one that was bigger than a GBR male, the was prob over 2inches, or close to...
Normally they don't get bigger than 1", thats what I read in the past, but I had couple that were bigger. This is probably the fault of inbreeding and living in captivity.

Edit, did a quick google search and saw the jumbo neon tetra grows till 2"...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ive seen a couple of fish that were bigger than Im used to lately. I saw a Bolivian Ram over the weekend that looked more like a Sunfish---lol. Ive seen Neons like you described as well ( cant see the pic because of Websense at work )

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah they're neons, never heard of jumbo neon tetras but that's a possibility too. I just thought I'd share with some people who can appreciate all things fishy :) I get excited about things like this and my friends/family just think I'm a weirdo haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's how big neons are supposed to get. There are plenty of common fish that when well looked after, people act surprised how large they get, even relatively small fish like these guys.

Don't anybody fall for that "jumbo" neon tetra rubbish, it just means a fully grown adult.

G

·
neons

My husband and I started with aquariums a year or so ago. I have three tropical aquariums and he is more into the gold fish coldwater fish. I had neons in my angelfish display, and he loved them. We decided to take one and test how they do in cold water. That was a year ago and his neons are now almost 5cm in size. Mine sadly died after a complete aquarium crash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.