The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend I am thinking (keyword is thinking) about switching my 90g reef into a planted/shrimp tank. I already have a 120G tank thats planted.

pic of reef - not fully completed:

pic of 120G planted tank: i did a huge trimming so it looks bare.

I will save everything from the reef because I know I will switch back one day. and.. I also know I will need to invest about $700 or more to switch over. I will need CO2, substrate and 6 x T5HO's bulbs only since I have the fixture. I may be able to sell the live rock, fish and corals.

but im not sure I want to do it... i mean i do but i need encouragement i guess!
also, I have a 55 gallon tank as the sump and since I will not be using a skimmer, I can actually make that a tank too

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Why not keep both? lol. Or put all the reef stuff away and keep that as a SW for the future. I don't know if you have a filter or factored that into your $700, but a new tank to start off with you don't have to scrub and clean down and get all salt reminants out is still probably the cheapest part. Filtration, co2, and substrate for a 90gal will probably each run more than the tank itself. Or sell off the whole SW tank/coral/everything as a package deal, you could probably get enough to fund the whole planted tank from scratch. Lots of options I guess. lol.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just dont look at the reef as i once did. all of my attention goes to the planted and shrimp tanks now. my sump/filter is a 55 gallon tank, which I can actually house another kind of shrimp... like a duplex! lol. the substrate will be organic dirt topped off with fluval stratum. i can sell the coral and actually keep the live rock in a bin for a future tank.
i dont mind cleaning out the tank. its kinda therapudic and relaxing. I know I can get a complete co2 system in here. and substrate would cost me 100.00

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
i just dont look at the reef as i once did. all of my attention goes to the planted and shrimp tanks now. my sump/filter is a 55 gallon tank, which I can actually house another kind of shrimp... like a duplex! lol. the substrate will be organic dirt topped off with fluval stratum. i can sell the coral and actually keep the live rock in a bin for a future tank.
i dont mind cleaning out the tank. its kinda therapudic and relaxing. I know I can get a complete co2 system in here. and substrate would cost me 100.00
What do you have for filtration?

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
man I want a nano-reef so bad...but I don't really want to deal with the water management that is required....so I will admire from afar......those ADA 60f nano-reefs are pure sex...

And you'll only need one or two bulbs out of the 6XT5HO for your shrimp plant tank...lol....

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
man I want a nano-reef so bad...but I don't really want to deal with the water management that is required....so I will admire from afar......those ADA 60f nano-reefs are pure sex...

And you'll only need one or two bulbs out of the 6XT5HO for your shrimp plant tank...lol....
Same, but I have enough tanks right now and don't want to invest in all the extras and extra work. 7 FW tanks is enough maintenance for me with worrying about RO water, salt mixtures and expensive livestock.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know what you mean, I spent $1000 in equipment alone on the reef to get it started and now I got the bug from the shrimpies to start a planted tank. I have 55G but I want to set it up at my home because they are relaxing to watch.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i spent about $900 on co2 and lighting just for my freshwater planted tank.
I honestly think they cost about the same... if you want the best.

shrimpmoss: I dont really do much to my salt water reef, its self maintained except for water changes and topping off water levels. now my 120G planted tank Im always pruning, removing dead leaves, adding ferts and whatever else I do . but my shrimp tank I do nothing except top off water.

·
Registered
880 Posts
NOOOOO DON'T DO IT

I got out of reefs and I still regret it a little. I'd say keep at least one reef. Reefs are much more beautiful than shrimp tanks IMO.

Only thing really stopping me from keeping reefs now = lack of time + money.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
NOOOOO DON'T DO IT

I got out of reefs and I still regret it a little. I'd say keep at least one reef. Reefs are much more beautiful than shrimp tanks IMO.

Only thing really stopping me from keeping reefs now = lack of time + money.
Never had one but I agree...shrimp tanks are not the best looking tanks...I'll do one one day when I have enough $$$ to throw at it and the time to monitor the water....I check out salty stores all the time...some of the corals make BKKs look cheap...$2000.00 for a WHAT?!?!...that thing is the size of a silver dollar!!...if I did a salt tank I'd have a UPS for my UPS...it should be capable of running without house power for a few days....just in case....

·
Registered
365 Posts
I vote for keeping the reef. I envy everyone with SW setups because they're so fascinating to me. I would set one up if I had the time, money, and space. Do you feel that your planted tank isn't enough for you?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Keep the reef. the next tank I'm setting up will be a nano reef. maybe you could just add some more corals to it to increase your interest. I think that if you really want to to a shrimp tank you should just do a little 10 gallon or something, but don't destroy something that you have clearly worked so hard on. I think 700 would be much better spent finishing the reef and setting up a 10 gal.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.