The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that I am going to try my hand at a 2.5 gallon Iwagumi style tank.

I don't know where to start.

First off, I think I'm going to try to use some river rocks. I was reading an artical in TFH that said that when Iwagumi tanks first came out they used river rock exclusivly. I had never seen or heard of one using that type of rock, so I figure why not?

I'm on a budget so I want to keep it as lo-tech as possible. I already have a little heater for it. I don't remember the watts but it has an internal themostat thing and I've had it running in the tank for a while and it keeps it at about 80-82F with the light on and about 78F when the light goes out.

On to the light. I just have the 12" strip light with the (10"?) bulb that comes with it. I'm kinda wondering if that will be enough for the plants I plan on getting (I will list later)?

Will a HOB filter be ok for this small of a tank. I have the internal Tetra Whisper filter in it now but I would hate to ruin my aquascape with that. Is there a HOB filter small enough for a 2.5 gallon or maybe an adjustable one that anyone would recomend? Or even another type of filtration that I'm forgeting?

I don't know what I'm going to do about substrate. I am torn between just regular ol' black sand and the Flourite type substrates. What do you guys think?

Oxygen: Depends on fauna, tell me what you think I should do.

Floura:
Dwarf Hairgrass
Glosso
HC

Fauna:
I don't quite know yet...
I think maybe a betta splendens and an ottocinclus because they are both able to breathe atmospheric oxygen.
OR
[Small tetra] x3
Ottocinclus or ghost shrimp
OR
Ghost shrimp

So... Questions, comments, things I forgot, things I need to keep in mind... Please?

I will try to keep this thread up to date on all my doings and such.

Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is. I found this sweet piece of wood and desided not to go with the Iwagumi style, but oh well. It still needs to fill in and all that good stuff and I plan to add either some sort of moss or Java Fern to the wood to try to make it look more like a tree.

From the ground up I guess?

Substrate: Floura Max

Floura: HC and Micro Sword

Heater: Some little one that I don't remember anything about. Keeps the tank at about 80-82

Filter: Red Sea Mini HOB

Light: 12" T5

To do...

CO2: Fluval Pressurized System

Fauna: Male Betta

Sorry about the poor picture quality. All I have is my cell phone. It gives you a pretty good idea though.

Questions, comments, complaints? Please let me know.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
The HOB will be just fine. Keep the water level up if you are going to use co2 to prevent it from outgassing. I like the driftwood in the tank, but I am distracted by the background with the cords. Have you thought about covering it at all? This is very pleasing overall, just needs some growing in time. RCS are easy to keep really. Just don't get a betta and RCS as they will probably just end up being an expensive snack.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I agree that it needs a background. If you arent sure what kind just go with black. It really brings out the green plants. How do you like the fluval co2? I am thinking of ordering one for my nano.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hadn't thought of the back, thanks, now that you point it out it's destracting me too :/

I like the flavel co2. I had it in my 10 gal and the plants went crazy. The only think that is slightly annoying is that you have to fill up the chambers multiple times a day. Other than that its great.

Also, do you have to have airation in a shrimp tank?

·
Registered
49 Posts
ooops

Hadn't thought of the back, thanks, now that you point it out it's destracting me too :/

I like the flavel co2. I had it in my 10 gal and the plants went crazy. The only think that is slightly annoying is that you have to fill up the chambers multiple times a day. Other than that its great.

maybe that's where I'm going wrong...I just have the output to chambers set @ 1bps!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like the piece of wood you found, nice find. I had 2 dwarf frogs in my 2 gallon tank (bought 1, but came with an extra by mistake) and they didn't survive past 2 months. They were lazy eaters and would let the fish eat their food (common prob). But the frogs with shrimp might work out. IDK if it's big enough for 2. Maybe one. Might wanna check their space requirements.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the piece of wood you found, nice find. I had 2 dwarf frogs in my 2 gallon tank (bought 1, but came with an extra by mistake).
Haha, that's funny cuz I bought one and ended up "adopting" the other one because it was missing a front leg and no one wanted it. I call him tripod and he is the healthiest acting frog I've ever had.

Idk if this is a valid consern but I'm kinda afraid that the frogs will bury themselves or something and tare up my hc (newly planted and not quite "established"). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
951 Posts

What do you mean fill the chambers? I heard from another user on the forums that you have to fiddle with it once a day but then its fine.

I run an airstone at night on my shrimp tank to get the CO2 out of the water. Before, I was not doing this and lost all of my bamboo and amano shrimp. If you are not doing CO2 or are able to turn it off at night I would not worry about it. Just make sure there is enough surface flow.

I had 2 dwarf frogs in my 2 gallon tank (bought 1, but came with an extra by mistake) and they didn't survive past 2 months. They were lazy eaters and would let the fish eat their food (common prob). But the frogs with shrimp might work out. IDK if it's big enough for 2. Maybe one. Might wanna check their space requirements.
Quentin - The African Dwarf Frogs are almost completely blind. They do not sense food like fish can when it hits the water. They will rarely go for flakes. Frogs like things like blood worms, brine shrimp, etc. Feeding frozen food is a much better option for frogs as it all sinks. If you want to keep your frogs alive, simply by feeding properly, you will need to spend a lot more time making sure the frog eats.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What do you mean fill the chambers? I heard from another user on the forums that you have to fiddle with it once a day but then its fine.
I got the one that has two chambers (bell defusers i think). They sit under the water line and hold the co2 and as it defuses they fill back up with water. When that happens you have to open up the co2 and fill them back up. Rince and repeat. The size of the tank affects how often you have to do it. I think it was 2 times a day for a 10g and my LFS recomended once a day for my a 2.5g.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Twas a very good day today!

I desided to make this a shrimp only tank. Checked my water peramiters and headed to my LFS. There I spotted some mislabeled crystal black shrimp for $3.95. Got 5 and was almost out of the door when another employee told me they were mispriced and I would have to pay the $10 a piece for them if I wanted to keep them... Damn :/ so I settled for 5 orange bee shrimp and I love them. They're scurrying about exploring their new tank at the moment. I really hope they stay this active.

Also did my first DIY on this tank. Drilled a hole in the cover of my HOB so I could put an air line down in the filter itself, I call it the agitator. (Mostly just an excuse to play with my new drill.)

I also added a small java fern that had just been drifting around my 10 gal. I kinda just shoved it in a crevase in my wood. I'm hoping it will take off and make the wood look more tree-like.

Last but not least I added a timeer to my light and will start my 6 hr photo period tonight.

Let me know what you think. I'm really happy with it so far.

Java fern. I know you can't bury it but will it be ok wedged in there?

The DIYness.

Thanks for the comments, questions, and concerns!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts