The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Technology is really unbelievable. 12 steps of filtration beyond RO and electron microscopes?? But hey if that's what it takes to make my iPhone then have at it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Bah, this stuff is not dangerous. Think about it, if I drink a liter of the stuff, all it has to do is dissolve 1 mg of ANYTHING in my body and it's already less pure than the stuff coming out of a standard R/O filter. Going from <1 ppm of contaminants to essentially 0 ppm doesn't turn it into something caustic. As far as the taste, all freshly distilled water tastes that way. The flavor we associate with water is mostly the salts and such dissolved in it.

Sorry for the crabbiness, sensational tech stories are something of a pet peeve of mine. The technology itself is interesting though, thanks for the link. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wow, that's some clean water. I never doubted the ability of water harming things, considering you can convert it to one of the most combustible gasses in the world and are able to use it to run an engine on! Thanks for the link and the cool facts.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The industrial strength ultra pure water systems, I work with (Water Analysis). You should not drink since it is complete free of any trace minerals. To the point that the ionic strength of the water is so low that pH electrodes have issues working in it. I agree drinking a liter of the stuff may not permanently harm someone. But fill a tank with it and putting fish is not a good idea. However I often wonder how it would work for topping off a tank.

Bah, this stuff is not dangerous. Think about it, if I drink a liter of the stuff, all it has to do is dissolve 1 mg of ANYTHING in my body and it's already less pure than the stuff coming out of a standard R/O filter. Going from <1 ppm of contaminants to essentially 0 ppm doesn't turn it into something caustic. As far as the taste, all freshly distilled water tastes that way. The flavor we associate with water is mostly the salts and such dissolved in it.

Sorry for the crabbiness, sensational tech stories are something of a pet peeve of mine. The technology itself is interesting though, thanks for the link. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts