The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10lb tank. I just weighted the tank. It appears I have only about 6lbs of CO2 left. The unit has been in operation for 41 days. On average, about 2+lb of CO2 per month. I have doubled my CO2 after getting my drop checker working couple of days ago. So, I am looking for a refill at the end of the 4th month???

There is no leak in the system. I have left the pressure inside the regulator while turning off the tank valve. Overnight. The pressure only dropped a little. Couple of PSI. FYI, I have been pumping about 4 bps (bubbles from the CO2 tubing). Now, with the drop checker (to get to lime green color), maybe at 8 bps.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
All depends on what your working pressure is, how long you run it per day, etc. By the way, the pressure should not drop at all if you seal it inside the regulator by turning off the CO2 cylinder and solenoid. How big is your tank? 8bps is pretty high!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All depends on what your working pressure is, how long you run it per day, etc. By the way, the pressure should not drop at all if you seal it inside the regulator by turning off the CO2 cylinder and solenoid. How big is your tank? 8bps is pretty high!
Before, it was 10 psi. Now about close to 12 psi. Is a 40g tank, very, very densely planted. I have no room to plant more, not even the trimming. I am using a HOB filter and that's probably the reason. However, the HOB allows me to not using an air pump at night. FYI, it wasn't a couple of PSI drop. Maybe 1 psi drop since the max psi on my working pressure gauge only goes up to 30. I will do another test tonight to confirm it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It's ok. If you are confident that you have tested for leaks and there aren't any, then you probably don't have them. Just remember that you need to manually check all the connections downstream from the solenoid with soapy water because everything after that cannot be checked by just turning off the solenoid and closing the cylinder.

I have my spraybar rippling the surface and I have an overflow (surface skimmer) that makes ripples all the way across my tank surface so I also have high surface agitation, but I still only use like 4bps on my 55G. I have my working pressure set at 30psi though, so 4bps might be more like 10bps at 12psi, so it sounds about right. Not sure how long I would expect at 10 lb tank to last at that rate. 4 months sounds ok.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
What you ask is hard to quantify. I have a 20lb tank pumping co2 24hrs a day. It been using this tank since May of this year. Still do not need to refill. You may have a tiny leak.

I suspect the reason is there's a constant supply of co2 at the ready when plants begin to photosynthesize so I don't need to pump more co2 in to reach a point of saturation.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you ask is hard to quantify. I have a 20lb tank pumping co2 24hrs a day. It been using this tank since May of this year. Still do not need to refill. You may have a tiny leak.

I suspect the reason is there's a constant supply of co2 at the ready when plants begin to photosynthesize so I don't need to pump more co2 in to reach a point of saturation.

I will check it tonight when the CO2 is off. Is pretty easy. I was expecting to last at least for 5 months. Back then, I didn't have a drop checker. I didn't start EI dosing. My plants were suffering. With the rate of CO2 I am pumping, it would be lucky of my tank can last for 4 months. Fortunately, I have found a place in LI to refill it for less. BTW, do you guys have a spare tank to be used for refilling without having your CO2 supply to the tank interrupted? Or you just take the same tank and to have it refilled and so your plants would have no CO2 for couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I will check it tonight when the CO2 is off. Is pretty easy. I was expecting to last at least for 5 months. Back then, I didn't have a drop checker. I didn't start EI dosing. My plants were suffering. With the rate of CO2 I am pumping, it would be lucky of my tank can last for 4 months. Fortunately, I have found a place in LI to refill it for less. BTW, do you guys have a spare tank to be used for refilling without having your CO2 supply to the tank interrupted? Or you just take the same tank and to have it refilled and so your plants would have no CO2 for couple of hours.
It's ok to just get it refilled. If you run the co2 non stop there will be ample supply in the water to carry through the period during the refill and probably if you don't.

I think the only reason most people don't run co2 constantly is to save on co2. With my 20lb tank I go well over a year on a 47 gal tank. Note though I don't have any devices that would speed up out gassing. Just two Powerhead pumps.

If you know someone that is diabetic and uses needles. Those needles make for a good injection device. Just break off the small needle and insert it into a Powerhead pump's air intake port attached to silicone tubing to the co2 needle valve port. You may if you like shorten the length of the syringe. I've been running my tank this way for a very very long time.
This device creates very tiny bubbles and never clogs and lasts an indefinite amount of time.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 110g tank and use a 10lb tank , last filled was last xmas it should be getting low by now.

Really??? :) I guess you have low to medium light? Not much plants? It looks like there is no leak from my soleniod to the tank valve. With CO2 off and tank valve off, the working and tank pressures didn't drop for over 12 hours--5pm to 9am.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.