The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I feel like a total failure today. My favorite, biggest, nicely colored red rili died today. :(

Here's how the day started:

This morning when I turned the lights on, it was under the IAL in a corner of the tank. It wasn't moving much. Then, I found out that mineral rock I ordered was in the mailbox, so I ran out and got it, and put one rock in the tank. After about 30 mins, it started acting more active, and after a while, the activity wore off. In the late afternoon, I turned off the light, and few hours later, it was dead on top of the java moss.:icon_sad:

What confuses me is 1.) all the others (smaller) are doing great, and 2.) CRS (even babies) and adult RCS are doing fine. The temp fluctuates my about 2-3 degrees from day to night in the range of 72-75F. My female CRS is still berried, so I know nothing terrible happened. I'm bummed, confused, worried, and feel like a total newb. Advice please?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
maybe it was just his time...
he probably got active when you threw that mineral rock in bc he smelled something tasty.
natural causes i assume if every one else is healthy.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
not uncommon at the end of summer to experience shrimp losses either. for shrimp born in the spring a year and a half ago, it's their time.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured it at almost an inch (i'm sure it hit one inch while it was in water). How long would it take an average red rili to reach one inch?

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
It's full life... I have some BIG crs that are slowly dying off from old age right now :( One of my big mommas, I believe, is about to die after this last clutch.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Sorry for the loss. I just lost my best female from my very first batch of cherry shrimp. Sucks to see them doing great one day and the next dead on their side.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that one was the most mature one, and would have been nice for breeding.

I think my female crs and one of my big rcs don't have much time on them either.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya it sucks. I woke up and my one tiger was eating a dead one. Now I only have 2 male tigers left. I have to get them some woman stat. lol. Sucks but the other 2 tigers were fine, the 12 snowballs, the 20 cherries (minus the 7 with white fuzzy heads but they've been moved to a new tank and being treated) and the 60 babies cherries, so I assume everything is fine and it was just its time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts