The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how others who bought driftwood from Tom Barr prep it before putting in the tank: boil __ hours (mm tannins soup)? soak in cold water ___ weeks? oven bake? debark? bleach dip?
I plan to tie plants to it don't want to deal with that "newly submerged wood fungus growth" fun.. some of the pieces I got smelled like urine (..yay...=.=) so boiling all the wood for as many hours as I can stand it. Debating about debarking so I don't have a mess from bark breaking down in the tank.
If you did no prep and just water logged and planted did you get "the fungus" growth? I wonder if co2 injected tanks don't get that growth..sadly no co2 here.. and I've proven excel doesn't work on the stuff... ok I'm rambling now sorry >.>

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bought a nice layout from Tom - gave him my tank size and asked him to send what he thought would work. He sent more than I needed. There was nothing to debark. Soaked the wood in a clean garbage can until it sunk. Changed the water every week or so. Had a little fungus, but found it in dirty areas on the wood. Scrubbed it off a few times, then it was gone.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Soaked it for a couple of weeks and changed water every other day which got rid of the tannins and then put it in the tank. No problems with fungus.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I boiled everything I could for as long as I possibly could. I had 4 giant soup/stock pots on the stove for pretty much an entire day and just kept turning the wood over every hour or so. After that I kept everything in a rubbermaid tote full of water for a week or so and to my surprise still had some tannins leaching. But the wood was good and water logged and I started using it without much other prep and had no issues.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info so far. I am on day 2 of boiling (total boil time 10 hours so far). I want to get through the process quick as I already have the plants and want to put the tank together properly instead of everything just floating about as it is right

Bought a nice layout from Tom - gave him my tank size and asked him to send what he thought would work. He sent more than I needed. There was nothing to debark. Soaked the wood in a clean garbage can until it sunk. Changed the water every week or so. Had a little fungus, but found it in dirty areas on the wood. Scrubbed it off a few times, then it was gone.
How long were you seeing the fungus? few weeks? few months?

Soaked it for a couple of weeks and changed water every other day which got rid of the tannins and then put it in the tank. No problems with fungus.
Nice, how long as the wood been in the tank?

I boiled everything I could for as long as I possibly could. I had 4 giant soup/stock pots on the stove for pretty much an entire day and just kept turning the wood over every hour or so. After that I kept everything in a rubbermaid tote full of water for a week or so and to my surprise still had some tannins leaching. But the wood was good and water logged and I started using it without much other prep and had no issues.
Wow 4 pots? I have 2 going with a vent and a fan to push the steam at the vent and my kitchen still feels like a tropical jungle.. yours must have been all but raining indoors!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts