The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting some very easy, beginner shrimp for my 37 gallon tank. Not because I especially like shrimp, but because I like the idea of them eat food off the gravel that the fish might miss.

Is this helpful, or just a complication? Would some sort of scavenging fish be better?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As long as you don't have anything large enough to eat the shrimp you will be fine. I would suggest Amanos, they are very hardy and larger than most of the shrimp we keep
another vote for Amanos. They don't breed in an aquirium and are a great cleanup crew. I would ask Msjinkzd if she has any 'extra large' in stock, I got a few from her as big as my little finger, my bigger fish leave them alone (platies, mollies, rosy barbs)

Fun to watch, no special care, no extra bio load on the tank/filter

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think a some cories would do the work of dozens of shrimp 10x better if you are just looking for function. shrimp don't seem to eat much.

but they are sure fun to watch

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think a some cories would do the work of dozens of shrimp 10x better if you are just looking for function. shrimp don't seem to eat much.

but they are sure fun to watch

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
cherry shrimp and amano are best. cherries will breed if you have enough cover and amanos are just bigger so they shouldnt get eaten. aggressive fish like angels will eat amanos though...

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Cherry shrimp are great for starting off because they are cheap, and they'll reproduce in the tank. The neons will pick off the babies, but probably a few will survive and it's good for the neons to have a live snack.

My observation is that shrimp absolutely do help clean the tank, and they have very little bioload. However, they don't eat much so it would take multiple shrimp to equal the cleanup power of a single fish.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i think if your tank is planted heavily enough you shouldn't have to worry about the fish eating them the shrimp will hide pretty well. it also depends they might not spend a ton of time on the substrate if your tank is planted very heavily because they'd probably be picking at the plants but they might be in the substrate who knows

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I have red claws. Grow ~3". I love the shrimp because they are much more animated and active than dwarf shrimp, but best in a species only tank. Think of them like crays, only non-violent to plants- but will eat anything they can catch. Snails, sleeping fish, etc.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The anwser is yes get some try glass shrimp they are cheap $.50 to a $1.00 if they dont get eaten then try some cherrys the Amanos some time are listed as algae eaters. All the tanks I ever had shrimp in looked better then with out them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.