The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have seen the diagrams about how sponge filters work with air pumps. And I have seen people say that it's possible to run a sponge filter using a powerhead. I saw a video on YouTube, but the powerhead they used had a bottom that snapped off and then they attached some adapters. Do you need to get a special powerhead for that?

I got the Sen Mid:

The tube sticking out is the outflow; the grating on the side is the intake.
How are you supposed to connect that intake to a sponge filter? Can you run a sponge filter "backwards" (pump water *into* the middle)?

My current "powerhead sponge filter" is a Koralia Nano with a sponge wrapped around it. The Koralia Nano intake is all around the body:

So I cover that with a sponge (attached)... which seems to work, but I suspect not what people mean by a powerhead-driven sponge filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
What you have isn't really a powerhead, its a water pump. Powerheads take in water from the bottom and push it out the front and usually have removable intake strainers. Some come with tapering adapters for use with the plastic tubes for sponge filters and UGFs.

This is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Running the Koralia like that works just fine.
If you want to get one of the commercial sponge filters as shown in post #2, then a real power head will be the best style of pump to run that.

I have several pumps like you show in your first post, and it is pretty difficult to keep a sponge wrapped around the intake. It can work, but it is not great.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's possible that if you pull off the inlet grate you'll find a part that could be adapted to a tube/sponge filter. It's worth checking out, in any case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts