The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes. :|

I do apologize if there is a topic on this somewhere I havent looked. I spent a few minutes searching the forums on similar topics, but havent found anything that could possibly help me.

So a few days ago I took a trip with my family to Galveston. Living in Houston, it wasnt exactly a huge trip, but my dad wished to stay in a hotel there for about a week. I called up a friend and told her I needed someone to feed my fish. She said she'd be happy to.

I came home and didnt think anything about it. I did my water change and cleaned my filter.

I found something...strange.

I believe that there is a big clump of paper towel in there.

Now, I dont know HOW it got in there. It certainly wasnt in there last month. I have a feeling my friend may have tried to clean it, as I just...there is no other way? I suppose my little brother may have tried to play around with it...but he is ten, and rarely even asks about my tank.

Its a Top Fin 20, and its really acting backed up. The only thing coming out is a little trickle of water. I know it's sucking...but not alot. Im afraid it might overheat, or start a fire.

Im only 13 and dont have enough cash to get another filter. I had to pay for the tank and all the equipment myself. There are only four bettas in there, so I doubt it would really hurt if I turn the filter off for a while...but is there any way to get rid of the towel clump? Just let it go away? I dont know how to take apart the tube(if it's possible), other then just taking the bottom...."grate" cylinder off, and Ive tried wrapping it around a screwdriver and a pencil.

Thanks so much for reading/helping. :)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Top Fin 20 filter, but I assume the intake tube can be removed from the rest of the filter?

If so, you might be able to unclog it with a flexible piece of wire. Or blow it out, either by garden hose or by your own breath. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it can be removed. I'll have to figure out how to remove the impeller part.

The piece of towel is in there fairly tight. I'll try the wire and the hose/air. Thanks! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts